What's the REAL tone difference with Stage 1 and Stage 2??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonemonster

Reaction score
OK, I have tried to research this on the net and here a bit. I realize that 5 of the 6 voicings have been updated for the stage 2, but what does that mean in the real world? I mean did it REALLY change the tone? and how much? I am really wanting to get a Stiletto, but it seems the stage 1 can be bought for considerably less than the stage 2 on the used market. Is there a definitive tonal difference betweeh the Stage 1 and 2??? I mean I hear everything from "plexi" tone to "modded JCM 800" tone used to describe the Stiletto. just curious if anyone can shed any more light on this??? I really would appreciate any help! :mrgreen:

I have a Stage 1 Duece, and an Ace 50 watt head, which is Stage 2. They are very similar. The stage 2 seams to have a tad more gain in crunch and tight gain modes, which are the only modes I use. Others have said the Fluid drive is different, I don't use it because it is higher gain than I need. I'm sure others could elaborate on Fluid drive for you. I use both heads interchangeably in 2 different bands, they are that similar. If I had to replace, I would probably go for the Stage 1, as you stated they can be had for less money. Hope this helps.

Fluid drive is the mode I live in in my metal band, and it is completely different. It makes a lot more gain, and the low end is much tighter. The amp, in my opinion, was unusable for metal before. Channel 1 doesn't seem all that different, and Ch2/Crunch is pretty much the same, but Tite Gain and Fluid Drive are just night and day different. I can't stand the series 1.

I've only played stage 2's and if the stage 2 has more gain in crunch mode, then what a joke.

if there is ever a stage 3, the crunch mode needs to be modified to sound like JCM800. if they could pull that off, this amp would be worthwhile.

I like my stage 2 for leads but for rhythm, it's not a go-to at all. plus the amp shines at high volumes (not good for home use).

it has very little bass even when bass is cranked compares to my Rivera or even a marshall.

The amount of bass an amp makes is practically irrelevant in a band. That's what you have a bassist for, and all the really awesome metal rhythm tones tend to be a very bright guitar that is welded to a thick, deep bass. While the black album is not my favorite Metallica disc, it sounds amazing, thanks to following this formula. Cranking the bass knob in a band setting is just gonna give you flubby/boomy lows, and bury your bassist.

I don't think I'd be happy with this amp in a one guitar band, but in a two guitar band, it blends amazingly well with a Recto. Recto modern and Stiletto fluid drive cover the deficiencies of the other, and create a massive wall of sound.

I used to own a 'Stage 1 Deuce' and I currently own a 'Sage 2 Trident'...

I regret selling my 'Stage 1 Deuce', it had the most chunky tone and 100 watts worked perfect for me as far as getting the best clipped tone at the right volume for rehearsals and live on stage without the need to run the LOOP to drop the master volume (which always dulls up tone and punch I find...LOOP = not for me)...

I have recently got my settings close on my 'Sage 2 Trident' that I had on my 'Stage 1 Deuce' after mic'ing up my rig recently in the recording studio to hear the difference with my current 'Sage 2 Trident' but the settings look completely different to what I had on my 'Stage 1 Deuce' on the dials...

I find the 'Sage 2 Trident' too harsh on the treble and gain ends of the frequency's to the point where they are almost un-usable past 12 o'clock and lacks the low end from the 'Stage 1 Deuce' had that owned. 150 watts is way too much headroom also on my 'Sage 2 Trident' to get the same clipping as the 'Stage 1 Deuce' tone I liked, I run my settings on TUBES with BOLD the drop in power at 50 watts is not loud enough to be heard...

I would go back to a 'Stage 1' any day over my current 'Stage 2'...but I will hold onto my 'Sage 2 Trident' as they are now a deleted model.

Also...150 watts is too much if you like to get a clipped brown sound with your MESA pushing the master volume hard with less gain to sludge/sag up the tone and be able to hear the rest of your band. 100 watts performs much better from my experience also.

Latest posts

Back