talk to me about the Stiletto duece.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonemonster

Reaction score
I am thinking maybe the Stiletto Deuce might be an amp for me to look into. The sounds of the amps I am hearing on youtube sound interesting. what can you people who are familiar with them tell me about them? I have never played one. I have played a mesa roadking and have experience with that amp. how do the gain channels compare?? any info would be greatly appreciated!

The voicing of the Stiletto is quite the opposite of the Road King, and Rectifier series in general, such that they complement one another very well. It's not low end heavy like the Rectos, but has more upper midrange presence. Classic to modern Marshall-esque tones can be had from this amp...

yea thats what I have heard, its marshall-esque. but I have to say, given it IS a mesa, I can coax some marshall-esque sounds out of a road king channel 2. to my experience, RK's arent like the recto solo head amps. they are voiced a bit different, especially channel 3. I can get some modded marshall type tones out of channel 3. the RK has a ton of versatility, and you just need to spend time to coax your sound out of it.

this stiletto sounds intruiging to me.

Deuce is a pretty versatile amp. I've played everything from classic rock to modern metal with mine, throw an EQ into the loop and it's limitless. I recently picked up my first Marshall (AFD100) which I like a lot and when switching back to the Stiletto I found myself fine tuning it to be more like the Marshall than my original settings. It totally opened up the amp by dialing back the gain. The amp has a ton of possibilities, I strongly prefer it over my Rectoverb.

One of the best clean tones from an EL34 amp. That being said, I'm a believer that you can make EL34 amps have clean tones. It's merely a misconception that they can't do great cleans, just because Marshall never bother to make a good dedicated clean channel until recent years...

the Bogner Shiva EL34 has AMAZING clean channel. I agree that marshall is probably just too lazy to spend time on the clean channels.

Jak0lantern01 said:
The amp has a ton of possibilities, I strongly prefer it over my Rectoverb.
That statement speaks to me, as I had a Rectoverb and absolutely loved it. I too have been checking out the Stiletto and really been liking what I've heard. I have no way of trying one or I would have.

You mention doing modern metal but also an EQ. Is that needed? Does it not have the gain? I'm not much for the huge low end sound so much as a tight, focused sound. I do like the gain though... :)

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have both and like them both. The best thing about the deuce that both channels are great and usable, the clean is definately better on the deuce. For hard rock / classic metal, I like setting channel 1 to crunch and channel 2 to tight gain for leads.

I generally have a problem with too much treble with mesa's and need to set the treble down low, counter to what the manual tells you to do. I also have a Marshall DSL, which sounds great, but the Mesa sounds different from a Marshall. So if you want THE Marshall sound, get a Marshall.

If you want a differently voiced Mesa from the typical rectifier sound, than the deuce will fit the bill.
Definately the coolest looking amp on the planet!

58boogie said:
I have both and like them both. The best thing about the deuce that both channels are great and usable, the clean is definately better on the deuce. For hard rock / classic metal, I like setting channel 1 to crunch and channel 2 to tight gain for leads.

I generally have a problem with too much treble with mesa's and need to set the treble down low, counter to what the manual tells you to do. I also have a Marshall DSL, which sounds great, but the Mesa sounds different from a Marshall. So if you want THE Marshall sound, get a Marshall.

If you want a differently voiced Mesa from the typical rectifier sound, than the deuce will fit the bill.
Definately the coolest looking amp on the planet!

You can try lowering the channel volume, and then compensating with the output knob to reduce the "harshness" slightly...

KH Guitar Freak said:
One of the best clean tones from an EL34 amp. That being said, I'm a believer that you can make EL34 amps have clean tones. It's merely a misconception that they can't do great cleans, just because Marshall never bother to make a good dedicated clean channel until recent years...

Amen...in using a PRS Custom 24 in it today, I wanted to get a bright, crisp tone for twang. What really surprised me was using the crunch setting and just dialing down the gain. The other two clean channels settings actually are usable for R&B and jazzier stuff. After having a Stiletto Ace combo, this head reaffirmed )version II that is) that MB's EL-34 amps can do much more than Marshall-esque stuff. And the loop and rear panel stuff will seal the deal for you. E-Z to maintain & built like a tank.

Back