Question about the Stiletto (or Recto?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danimal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a TriAxis/395/Recto traditional cabinet owner and have always loved the versatility and sounds this rig can provide. Recently while recording some songs I realized I was really only using the same 3 or 4 sounds and really had something of a tough time getting a good clean tone. It got me to thinking that maybe I ought to go back to a simple head/cabinet setup.

I've also realized that I really like the sound of EL34s more than 6L6s and that brought me to the Stiletto. The reviews seem to be stunning everywhere I look. The videos and sound sample are all excellent. I don't live in an area where I can try one out so I have to rely on this information.

Has anyone made the switch from a Mark or rack set up to the Stiletto? Are you happy you did?

I also know that the Rectos can run EL34s and the "reborn series" seem to be getting some accolades as well so if that seems like a good option, let me know.

I have no interest in the Mak V with its 4654651616987651612 knobs and options, for now I'm really looking at those two. At least from Mesa, I don't know what other amp manufacturers have. All we have in the music stores here is Peavey and Line 6, and both are laughable.

Sorry to go on so long, just wondering if anyone has experience with this that could either tell me it's a good idea or that I must be nuts, haha.

Thanks!

I own a Mark V head, Roadster head, a Stiletto Deuce II head, and a Simulclass 2:90. That being said, I have played a Triaxis+2:90 setup, and I personally thought the cleans on that thing sounded good. Strange that you don't seem to feel the same. Anyway, the voicings of the 2010 Rectos and the Stilettos are different to the Triaxis. Stilettos are more like a take of a modern Marshall, but honestly, I think it can still cop classic Marshall type of tones...

I'm not ruling out that the clean tone could well have been 100% my fault. Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I'm just as happy with someone telling me I've got it good already and not to change.

It really boils down to what sort of voicing you are really after. If you dig the Mark series voicing, I don't really see why you need to change anything. Regardless, all three amps you've mentioned have good cleans, with the Stiletto being one of the best cleans you can get from an EL34 amp...

KH Guitar Freak said:
It really boils down to what sort of voicing you are really after. If you dig the Mark series voicing, I don't really see why you need to change anything. Regardless, all three amps you've mentioned have good cleans, with the Stiletto being one of the best cleans you can get from an EL34 amp...

The newer series Stiletto (II) are surprising in their ability to cop clean/shimmering tones. If you have a HH pupped guitar (I used a PRS Custom 24 this past weekend) and dialed down the gain in the cleaner channel using crunch (yes-I said it) even on the 50 watt setting: split coil buckers can get twangy/cleaner. Using a touch of chorus, verb, or delay? Nice results can happen. The Mark V can cop virtually anything: I miss my Mark IV.

Back