Out with the KT77s and in with?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniecrump

Reaction score
I have tried everything to dial in my JJ KT77 tube kit in my Stage I with no luck. I put in the stock EL34s and my warm goodness came back. However ..

I am looking at getting some newer EL34s or 6CA7s. I don't have the funds for NOS Mullards so I was wondering about the following.

1. Electro Harmonix 6CA7.
2. Electro Harmonix EL43.
3. Mullard reissue EL34. Are these really Mullards or a Mullard labeled generic that sounds like a Mullard?
4. Gold Lion KT77. This option scares me due to the JJ KT77 issues.

Note: I am running the Mansfield mod and FD mod.

Also .. does anyone know what the stock mA is for the Stage I. Again .. I had it written down and lost it due to HD crash.

Thanks,
Donnie

PS .. the reason I never posted my pre and post mod samples is because my HD crashed in my PC. :(. Although I may grab some tube clips.

JJ EL34s sound/work great in my Series 1. Don't get the 'high-gain' option, it's counter productive in Stilettos...

LOL I have the high gain set and I think they sound great!

I have the high gain option as well, and am currently using JJ EL34L's. They sound great, with a bit less bottom than the KT77. To tell you the truth though, I really like the tight, edgy aggressive sound of the stock power tubes.

I have the high gain option in my Stage II, sounds great to me. I have the 6CA7's in mine, sounds nice.

I like using a overdrive to push the stock tubes... They feel warmer when I do this.
Try a MXR Overdrive just pushed to clip and the level boosted.
just a suggestion.

....Oh yeah.. Volume at 25% or more. Any less and it sounds kind of thin.

Back