I think I finally figured out what the presence knob is for

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe

Reaction score
I never really got the point of having a presence knob when you have a treble control to tweak, and I didn't fully understand why on the Stilettos (and maybe other models as well) that it is separate from the other tone controls. Well I finally smartened up and started using only the presence control to do my tweaking when I play a gig. I usually don't end up with a great opportunity to sit there and mess around with my tone, and usually just concern myself with the right amount of bass, treble and gain for the room we are playing. I used to tweak the treble and bass first, which was maddening because I could never get things right quickly. I've found that if I leave my core settings as is and just use the presence control it is much quicker, easier and I end up with a better tone because my other settings remain the same

Do other people use it the same way? Is this common knowledge that I stumbled upon almost 5 years after buying the amp?

A lot of people think the bass, mid, and treble cover the entire frequency spectrum, but they don't. Presence controls the upper high end frequencies that are above what the Treble knob controls. However, if you found a system that works for you, by all means do what sounds good!

Oddly enough, I usually have my presence set above treble, e.g. treble at 9 o'clock and presence at noon. Same on my marshall.

Maybe by doing so, it gives a more scooped sound on the upper end?

I've done the same, but until you mentioned it, never paid much attention to the settings. I'm kind of impatient, and while I don't mind tweaking settings at home, I HATE tweaking them while I am playing out, regardless of the amount of time I have. I've found that the presence control can act as a tone "steering wheel" to match your settings to the room or PA

Back