EQ for the Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpayne82

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have tried this yet, but throwing an EQ in the loop of your Stiletto ACE will solve a lot of headaches and frustrations in terms of the Stiletto's high frequency issues. Besides turning down the Presence control on the amps EQ, throwing a EQ in the loop will yield great results. After many pedal purchases over the past year, both distortion and overdrive, the Empress ParaEQ ($250) has made all of the channels on my ACE very usable. Much more bottom end than ever before. Just throwing it out there. Check it out if you are getting frustrated with this amp.....oh also, definately do a speaker swap. I bought a Scumback M75 LHDC speaker for my 1x12. That will immediately yield some pretty nice results as well.

Good choice on the Scumback M75-LHDC. That has to be a perfect fit for the ACE. Did you have Jim break it in for you (FBI)? They sound great right out of the box but I am going to to have it done with my next order.

+2 on the EQ in the loop....it's a tremendous help for shaping up the ACE!! I'm not running one right now because my 4x12 gets me what I need thus far, but if I need any more bottom at all, I've got a GE-7 sitting 2 feet away hooked up to my DC-2... :mrgreen:

Don't laugh, but instead of an EQ I'm using my Tech 21 Bass DI to shape the tone on my Ace 1x12. The Bass DI has treble and bass control plus drive, presence, and blend. Without changing the gain or tone of the amp, I'm able to switch from a modern rock tone to a great 80's style scooped-mid 4x12 cab tone with the blend at 12 o'clock, treble at 11 o'clock, bass at 2 o'clock, drive at 9 o'clock, and presence at 12 o'clock. Plenty of thump! It works for me.

Sam

No laughing over here! I think thats a pretty good idea actually. I get the feeling you'd otherwise not be putting your Tech 21 to use at all. If it's working for you...great!!

Jam On!! :mrgreen:

srenkin said:
Don't laugh, but instead of an EQ I'm using my Tech 21 Bass DI to shape the tone on my Ace 1x12. The Bass DI has treble and bass control plus drive, presence, and blend. Without changing the gain or tone of the amp, I'm able to switch from a modern rock tone to a great 80's style scooped-mid 4x12 cab tone with the blend at 12 o'clock, treble at 11 o'clock, bass at 2 o'clock, drive at 9 o'clock, and presence at 12 o'clock. Plenty of thump! It works for me.

Sam

Cool to hear someone else experimenting with out of the ordinary combinations of equipment to get a good sound. Ya never know unless you try it.

Riff Blister said:
Good choice on the Scumback M75-LHDC. That has to be a perfect fit for the ACE. Did you have Jim break it in for you (FBI)? They sound great right out of the box but I am going to to have it done with my next order.

I had Jim do the FBI. Really nice guy. It did take a while to get the speaker in, but it really made a big difference in the tone. Every channel sounded much better after the speaker install. It's been over a year now, and my Stilleto seems to sound better and better :p

The Stiletto only has high frequency issues when you turn the high frequencies up. If you keep them turned down it sounds normal.

It also has plenty of bottom end if you turn the bass up.

With Marshalls it's common to run the treble/presence low and bass way up... not sure why people have a hard time with this on a Mesa.

In my opinion/your mileage may vary.

I actually like how bright the Stiletto is. Listen to some of the best metal tones recorded, and they are always a lot brighter than you think they are. Having said that, not having three channels makes it harder to get a good solo tone, so I put an eq in the loop to bump up the lower mids, so I can dial up the rhythm tone I'm looking for.

I also use a 4x12 Stiletto bottom cab with C90s. I'm not a fan of V30s at all, since they're too upper mid brittle.

Holy Crap picked up a ge-7 and threw it into the loop. for my strat it was incredible!

Just out of curiosity. What settings and type of guitars are you using? Amp settings and EQ pedal settings? Like what frequencies are you raising or lowering on the ep pedal in addition to your amp settings. :)

I only use my Eq on my Strat. Its a bright guitar into a bright amp so taming the highs and bumping the low end up just a bit. On amp Treble 9/10 oclock, mids 11/noon, bass 3 oclock. a little less mids on channel 2. I tweak a little with different guitars but thats pretty normal. Masters at noonish and control volume with output knob

Like dmain, I also use a strat. I find that I have to back the tone knob to help tame the highs. But (when I'm not being lazy) I do use an M-108 in the loop from time to time.

Presence 2:00
Bass 2:00
Mid 2:00
Treb 9:00 - 10:00
Gain 3:00

tite gain or fluid gain

Sounds good with V30's and wgs g12h's in a 4x12. thick and bassy with bite.
thinking about getting a EQ pedal for recording boost and who doesn't like playing with new toys.

I use an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my Stage 1, absolute necessity with the Stage 1 IMO. It sound boxey and cold without it.

I'd like to hear a Stage 2 without an EQ in the loop.

I've been having a ball with an EQ out front of the Stiletto Trident Stage 1, scooping the low mids a touch and ramping the high mids up a touch to sweeten cleans or add depth to crunch. Using a Source Audio EQ with 4 EQ presets, amazing what you can do by messing with the mids before the pre-amp.

I have a 2nd Source Audio EQ here and am planning on throwing it in the loop as an always on, but to be honest with a good set of broken in V30's and a 2x12 closed back Recto cab i am pretty well there, the EQ in the loop will be more of a fine tuning thing to help out with whatever the room throws at me.

What are you guys cutting/boosting with the EQ in the loop and how much...?

Wow, running the preEQ/Dist?post EQ and I have actually taken the OCD off the board, what cant be done with such a thing. Love it!

Using 2x Source Audio Programmable EQ's so I have 4 presets in front and in the loop... as soon as the Boss ES8 arrives this is going to be a blast! Highly recommended behavior :)

Latest posts

Back