Mismatch problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie's Dad

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this forum, it's nice to be here.

I am a Stilletto Ace owner and I have two problems i'd like your expert views on. First I have been playing my head through what I thought were two 16ohm cabs. They are clearly labelled as such. But I took the backs off them the other day and found that are in fact 8ohm each, which panicked me. The maker was very apologetic, I guess it was simply an honest mistake. Could I have damaged my amp by playing these through the two 8ohm sockets. I should have been in the 4ohm, surely?

Could this explain why the amp sounds a bit fizzy and lacklustre on gain channel? Or does this signify a tube replacement? I haven't had the amp long, around 6 months moderate use, but I guess that's nothing to go by.

Hollie's Dad said:
Hi. I'm new to this forum, it's nice to be here.

I am a Stilletto Ace owner and I have two problems i'd like your expert views on. First I have been playing my head through what I thought were two 16ohm cabs. They are clearly labelled as such. But I took the backs off them the other day and found that are in fact 8ohm each, which panicked me. The maker was very apologetic, I guess it was simply an honest mistake. Could I have damaged my amp by playing these through the two 8ohm sockets. I should have been in the 4ohm, surely?

Could this explain why the amp sounds a bit fizzy and lacklustre on gain channel? Or does this signify a tube replacement? I haven't had the amp long, around 6 months moderate use, but I guess that's nothing to go by.

You'll probably notice the tone was brighter to begin with. It probably means you are stressing the valves a little bit more as well. Nonetheless, I wouldn't lose sleep if the amp still turns on and sounds ok with the cabs plugged into the appropriate speaker output sockets. Fizz is hard to tell but. Could be a number of things, even non amp related. Could even be "bad" power coming through the power sockets. If you have spare valves, there is no harm swapping them out one at a time to see which one is producing noise IMO...

One thing that Mesa clearly states in all of their manuals is that their amps are not overly sensitive to impedance mismatches. Don't worry too much about that. :)

Back