Does the Trident have enough clean headroom?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonRedSox

Reaction score
Does the Trident have enough clean headroom to not break up at gigging volumes?

Thanks.

I don't know what a gigging volume is for you, but my Ace can get pretty dang loud and still play super clean. Add another 100 watts, and I think you'll be just fine.

I would hope so, but I really can't say that I am confident about that. I've noticed with other Mesa amps, in particular the Road King, Roadster, and ED, that at gigging volumes (unmic'ed) all of these amps' clean channels had a bit of "hair" on them. I am looking for an amp that will stay super clean at high volumes, even on the bridge pup. I think a lot of this "hair" has to do with Mesa's design having most of the distortion come from the preamp section. It seems in these higher gain Mesa's, the higher gain channels affect the headroom of the dedicated clean channels at gigging volumes. That is my speculation, but it seems to make sense. A 80-watt Bogner Shiva, cranked at gigging volumes, stays 100% clean.

Tube type ? The SED =C= have proven to have much better clarity and are a bit louder in my amp than the Mesa power tubes. Clean tones are much better in my opinion.

+1 on the tube type. When I re-tubed with JJ's my clarity and cleans improved dramatically.

If my Deuce can not break up at loud volumes with me banging away with active EMG's, I'm sure the Trident can pull it off like a champ.

Latest posts

Back