Cab Selection

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmiester

Reaction score
It's been almost a year since leaving my last band and turning down some awesome opportunities to be out on the road, but I knew I had to finish college first, especially when I was a month away from graduating. It was a tough decision to make, but there are plenty of bands out there. Will they go as smoothly as my last? Probably not, but you never know. My areas music scene is pretty weak, but still putting an effort to get back into the music world.

I owned and used a Triple Recto for years, although I'm not a metal guy. Channel 2's raw and vintage mode was where it was at for me. Never intended on getting rid of the Recto, but the Stiletto has been more of a fit for me and less of an expense in the tube department. I paired the Recto with a Peavey JSX 4x12 cab that has been solid and sounded great at every gig. The Stiletto sounds great through it, as well, but the cab is rated at 16 ohms. If I do get back into a a band, I'd hate to be wasting potential and power by running the Stiletto through the JSX cab. Time to move on.

What are you guys running your Stiletto's through? I've been leaning toward a Marshall 1960 cab. The G12T-75's leave me a little unsure. I really wasn't a fan of G12T-75's with my Legacy, too bright and thin. The Stiletto is way brighter than a Carvin Legacy, so I'm not sure how the Stiletto/Marshall 1960 combo would work out.

I use a Three-Quarter Back 1x12" with the stock C90, and I really like it. I hear good things about the horizontal Recto 2x12" with V30s, too.

I'm running a Recto 4x12 under my 1x12 Ace and I'm really digging it! It's given me just about every tonal color I can deal with so far and I know there's more inside!! 8) I've had it about a month or so and I'm really happy with it.

Prior to that I was using a 2x12 Recto and it sounded awesome as well. That was just a total breakthrough experience for me! All my controls suddenly meant something again, and I was happy enough with the sound that I ditched my GE-7 pedal and never looked back!! :mrgreen:

ifailedshapes said:
I use a Three-Quarter Back 1x12" with the stock C90, and I really like it. I hear good things about the horizontal Recto 2x12" with V30s, too.

I'm on the fence about going the 1x12 route. A lot of 1x12's I've played sounded very boxy.

rocksalt7 said:
I'm running a Recto 4x12 under my 1x12 Ace and I'm really digging it! It's given me just about every tonal color I can deal with so far and I know there's more inside!! 8) I've had it about a month or so and I'm really happy with it.

Prior to that I was using a 2x12 Recto and it sounded awesome as well. That was just a total breakthrough experience for me! All my controls suddenly meant something again, and I was happy enough with the sound that I ditched my GE-7 pedal and never looked back!!

I'd like to pick up a Recto or Stiletto 4x12, but can't manage to find a decent deal on one locally. I'd like to go for a 2x12 or even a 1x12, especially if I won't be gigging or playing as much as I used to, which will probably be the case. If you had to choose between the Recto 4x12 and 2x12, which would you take and why?

I'm running a recto 4 x 12 and am happy with it. For portability, I'm thinking about getting either a Stiletto or Recto 2 x 12 next,. Or a truck to haul the 4 x12 :)

Do you have a dealer within reasonable driving distance? If so, your best bet is going to be playing through different cabs with your guitar and your amp.

I personally think 4x12" cabinets are overkill these days. They look cool on stage, but that's pretty much it. That is, of course, my opinion.

My cab, while only having one speaker, is physically quite large. Just a few days ago, my friend said he couldn't believe how big it is for only being a 1x12". I also think the C90 helps tame the brightness a little bit.

I decided a while back to make my Ace + 4x12 my "home" rig. It is quite beastly to move around, But OMG!!! nothing else sounds like it!! :mrgreen:

For portability, I have my trusted DC-2. It sounds really good thru the 4x12 in it's own right, but I think the 2x12 was a better match really. I took it out a number of times w/ my old 2x12 and I had ZERO problems outgunning a very loud drummer and a couple of much heavier Marshalls. It's truly a little monster! I've been giving some serious thought to getting another 2x12 for it, but I'm kinda running out of space. The wife has been giving me the "Eye" lately when she sees all my goodies in the office/jam room!

But to answer your question, Guitarmeister, if I had to pick just one, it would be the Recto 2x12...it sounded nothing short of stellar with both of my Mesa's.

Hope that's of some help to you... 8)

ifailedshapes said:
Do you have a dealer within reasonable driving distance? If so, your best bet is going to be playing through different cabs with your guitar and your amp.

I personally think 4x12" cabinets are overkill these days. They look cool on stage, but that's pretty much it. That is, of course, my opinion.

My cab, while only having one speaker, is physically quite large. Just a few days ago, my friend said he couldn't believe how big it is for only being a 1x12". I also think the C90 helps tame the brightness a little bit.

The closest Mesa dealer is almost an hour away, so that's not all that likely since it's not along the way to anything. I really don't have a whole lot of experience with 1x12's other than a few lower end cabs from trying out low wattage amps. I'll have to see what I can find.

rocksalt7 said:
I decided a while back to make my Ace + 4x12 my "home" rig. It is quite beastly to move around, But OMG!!! nothing else sounds like it!! :mrgreen:

For portability, I have my trusted DC-2. It sounds really good thru the 4x12 in it's own right, but I think the 2x12 was a better match really. I took it out a number of times w/ my old 2x12 and I had ZERO problems outgunning a very loud drummer and a couple of much heavier Marshalls. It's truly a little monster! I've been giving some serious thought to getting another 2x12 for it, but I'm kinda running out of space. The wife has been giving me the "Eye" lately when she sees all my goodies in the office/jam room!

But to answer your question, Guitarmeister, if I had to pick just one, it would be the Recto 2x12...it sounded nothing short of stellar with both of my Mesa's.

Hope that's of some help to you... 8)

I came across a Marshal 1960a cab that I may buy, but I'm not so sure I want to go the 4x12 route again. I agree, they do sound beastly but also overkill for someone who's not playing nearly as much as I used to. Hunting down a Mesa 2x12 cab has turned out harder than I expected. Everyone is either hanging on to theirs or it's over-priced.

If you like that Peavey cab of yours, a cheap and quick option is to simply re-wire it (with all 4 speakers in parallel) to get a 4-ohm load, which will match your Stiletto's output.

Easy to do. Although it sounds like you might just actually WANT a new cab (which we can all totally understand). If that's true, the above tip on the 3/4 back 1x12 is spot-on -- it's the LEAST boxy-sounding 1x12 out there, and it sounds absolutely huge. One of the best, and most portable compared to the giant sound, that you can get. For what you trade back on space+weight, it's very worth it.

I run mine Stiletto Deuce II head through a Stiletto 4X12 straight cab. I dig the tones. I did try a Stiletto Ace head through a Marshall 1960 cab. Sounds good with those G12-75s, unlike them Rectos...

djw said:
If you like that Peavey cab of yours, a cheap and quick option is to simply re-wire it (with all 4 speakers in parallel) to get a 4-ohm load, which will match your Stiletto's output.

Easy to do. Although it sounds like you might just actually WANT a new cab (which we can all totally understand). If that's true, the above tip on the 3/4 back 1x12 is spot-on -- it's the LEAST boxy-sounding 1x12 out there, and it sounds absolutely huge. One of the best, and most portable compared to the giant sound, that you can get. For what you trade back on space+weight, it's very worth it.

Sold the JSX cab two weeks ago. I don't know of many 3/4 back 1x12's other than Mesa. Suggestions on what to look into?

KH Guitar Freak said:
I run mine Stiletto Deuce II head through a Stiletto 4X12 straight cab. I dig the tones. I did try a Stiletto Ace head through a Marshall 1960 cab. Sounds good with those G12-75s, unlike them Rectos...

That's good to hear, especially since I've been very skeptical about picking up a 1960a just because of the G12-75's. My search for a Recto or Stiletto 2x12 has been fairly dry. I'm hoping something comes up, if not I've still got the option of picking up a 1960a for $300.

Guitarmiester said:
djw said:

Sold the JSX cab two weeks ago. I don't know of many 3/4 back 1x12's other than Mesa. Suggestions on what to look into?

KH Guitar Freak said:

That's good to hear, especially since I've been very skeptical about picking up a 1960a just because of the G12-75's. My search for a Recto or Stiletto 2x12 has been fairly dry. I'm hoping something comes up, if not I've still got the option of picking up a 1960a for $300.

The way I see it, if you like hearing Marshalls through the 1960 cabs, then I'm pretty sure you'll be happy using that same cab with the Stiletto...

Latest posts

Back