Stage I v Stage II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Si.

Reaction score
Does anyone have a direct comparison between the stage I and II heads? I've been offered a stage I but worried it will lack that mesa growl.

Is it possible to convert a Stage I to a Stage II spec?

There really isn't much of a difference between Stage I and II. Most of what you'll find online comes from people who never even played a Stiletto. After A/B'ing a Stage I and II, the only audible difference was with Stage II's Fluid Drive being slightly tighter and less bassy. Both have that Mesa growl. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

If you twist the knobs theyre both nearly identical. The differences are barely noticable if at all. Ill say the hollywood modded Stage I really kicks *** though

just received my Stiletto today and liking it so far.

Having played both a stage I and stage II, I thought there was a big difference.
They both had a nice underlying growl and a cool "wiry" el34 Brit edginess happening, but the II felt very fluid and easy to play, whereas the stage I was more difficult to play on. I really had to dig in and fight the amp a bit, but in a strange way that's also what I liked about it...

glassjaw7 said:
Having played both a stage I and stage II, I thought there was a big difference.
They both had a nice underlying growl and a cool "wiry" el34 Brit edginess happening, but the II felt very fluid and easy to play, whereas the stage I was more difficult to play on. I really had to dig in and fight the amp a bit, but in a strange way that's also what I liked about it...

Maybe a bad set of tubes? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by, "the stage I was more difficult to play on. I really had to dig in and fight the amp a bit..."

Guitarmiester said:
glassjaw7 said:

Maybe a bad set of tubes? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by, "the stage I was more difficult to play on. I really had to dig in and fight the amp a bit..."

The Stage II I had a while back was very easy to play and responsive/dynamic. Loved it but kept dying so I returned to Mesa HWood for full refund.

I have a new purple head on the way (II).

I really think that the set of options that the stiletto has is not too much (like Mark V or RK) but not too little.

the tube rectifier and 100/50 watt switch is not available on any marshalls that I've seen...

I have had both and can tell you there is a huge difference, on the stage II I believe most every mode was redone. The stage II has more gain and is more agressive.

Here is the run down.

Stage I is more marshall then mesa, if you are looking for a hot rodded plexi/JCM800 this amp is for you. I kinda wish I still had a stage one as my music tastes have changed.

Stage II is a nice mix between a marshall and a mesa, I can get it close to marshall tones, but not as close as the stage I, however this is a great amp if you want a mesa that cuts through like you wouldnt believe.

Guitarmiester said:
There really isn't much of a difference between Stage I and II. Most of what you'll find online comes from people who never even played a Stiletto. After A/B'ing a Stage I and II, the only audible difference was with Stage II's Fluid Drive being slightly tighter and less bassy. Both have that Mesa growl. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Here are the differences listed by Mesa Boogie themselves:

5 Out of 6 Modes Re-voiced and Improved!
FAT and TITE Clean Modes Feature Enhanced Top End Sparkle And Transparency
Channel 1 & 2 CRUNCH Now Even Tighter and More Aggressive
All New FLUID-DRIVE Mode Features Even More Tightly Focused Gain
All New Lightening Fast Power Supply Tightens Low-End and Increases Mid Punch

Whether you hear or feel any difference is up to the user though...

siggy14 said:
I have had both and can tell you there is a huge difference, on the stage II I believe most every mode was redone. The stage II has more gain and is more agressive.

Here is the run down.

Stage I is more marshall then mesa, if you are looking for a hot rodded plexi/JCM800 this amp is for you. I kinda wish I still had a stage one as my music tastes have changed.

Stage II is a nice mix between a marshall and a mesa, I can get it close to marshall tones, but not as close as the stage I, however this is a great amp if you want a mesa that cuts through like you wouldnt believe.

Guitarmiester said:

I've found to be quite the opposite. The stage II sounded more like those vintage Marshalls. In contrast, the stage I was closer towards older Mesa voicings...

Most people that i know agree with me, the older marshall people love the stage 1's.

KH Guitar Freak said:
siggy14 said:

Here is the run down.

Guitarmiester said:

I've found to be quite the opposite. The stage II sounded more like those vintage Marshalls. In contrast, the stage I was closer towards older Mesa voicings...

siggy14 said:
Most people that i know agree with me, the older marshall people love the stage 1's.]

Depends on what you define "older Marshalls" I guess. When I think older Marshalls, I think of the Plexis which are generally brighter sounding than the JCM800. Then again, both models vary throughout the years. However, I've found that overall the amp feels tighter with the stage IIs, more like a Marshall. Regardless of whichever way it goes, I just prefer the tighter feel of the stage II. In the scheme of things, I would say they are rather subtle though...

Back