Ace 1-12 combo, GEQ in loop.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwielding1

Reaction score
I have a ge7 for the e-loop. I love the tone of the amp but think the EQ would help to attain some more scooped tones.
Anyone else doing this? Thinking of having it set for a more scooped rhythm tone with the output cut a little, then switch the EQ off for my boost of volume and mids for solo work...
Also, I run a delay and reverb in the loop, sometimes flange/phase.
I assume the eq should be after them, right?

The GE-7 will most definitely help you deepen up your tone. Since the Ace is such a bright amp, it needs a little help in that area. I had very good luck using a GE-7 in the loop on mine. I haven't had it in there for quite a while now since I'm using a 4x12 underneath mine and love the way it sounds! :mrgreen: The only thing I run in my loop nowadays is a Carbon Copy for a little room echo which sounds great on the tite gain channel!!

I believe you are correct, the EQ comes after the other pedals you have.

Happy jammin'!!

Indeed, a GE7 will do that if dialed in properly. I did have it, but havent used it much.
Watch out messing the freq's too much because you will get into the bass-players freq area :) Yes: you can tweak the amp a hell lot more this way, but use it right. It was really nothing for me (but that's very personal, and depends on the music styles you play.) The scooped tones you say is easily done with the EQ pedal.

(=more tone knobs is more tweakability, but also complex to use is my opinion) You should try it. Maybe it works for you. But there are more options. Maybe a good overdrive/metal distortion pedal on the clean channel set for you scooped rhytm sounds?

:mrgreen: funny... I very agree with RockSalt7 said. CarbonCopy and Reverb in the loop sounds great. I have it exactly this way. Unfortunately I have no 4x12 but Im in the process of buying a 2x12 recto cab (as soon as I can find one .. )

good luck man!

Hey Allie....you're going to love a 2x12!!! After I got mine, I never felt the need for an EQ pedal again. I had an older model Recto cab and it sounded great. If I hadn't gotten the deal I did on my 4x12, I would still have it. I ran mine WITH the combo's speaker and it sounded large!!! :mrgreen: .....now I have the 4x12 - I'm one happy Mesa player these days!!

I do really love the tone of the amp, but in some cases, a little eq tweak could help me out. I have a Plexitube pedal that is mean as ****, and would provide the scooped tones, but want to try the eq for a little taming of the mids, and a bit more beef in the lows. But since I've been messing with it, it doesn't take a whole lot, so the settings are not quite as extreme as I thought they'd be.
That Plexitube is an awesome pedal BTW. A friend borrowed it for his Twin Reverb, and it sounded like a Soldano. Awesome clean, then awesome screaming lead. Best high gain pedal I've ever heard.

:D I can't wait to buy a 2x12 rect.cab..
(I did the bias mod to my ACE. This improved the sound also very much.. )

Good luck everybody !

I use graphic in the loop of my Stiletto Ace head. In fact, every Mesa I've owned, with the exception of the Blue Angel, benefitted with a graphic. The Nomad and the DC-5 had them already, of course.

If you are interested in a EQ, check out the Empress ParaEQ if you got the $$. It was very easy to get a nice tone locked in with nice lows and balance. Took me all of 2 minutes to lock in a killer sound on all channels of the ACE. Zero noise from this pedal as I have heard of noise issues with un-modded GE-7s. It's also got a clean boost feature with up to 30db of clean boost.

If you are interested in a EQ, check out the Empress ParaEQ if you got the $$. It was very easy to get a nice tone locked in with nice lows and balance. Took me all of 2 minutes to lock in a killer sound on all channels of the ACE. Zero noise from this pedal as I have heard of noise issues with un-modded GE-7s. It's also got a clean boost feature with up to 30db of clean boost.

Do you use this in front of your amp or in the loop?

I use it in the effects loop. Haven't tried it in front of the amp yet. I've heard of others using it out in front of OD's to push them harder as well. I might try that soon to see how that works.

Back