New (to me) Stiletto Ace, with a question (Problem?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polaris20

Reaction score
So I got this Stiletto Ace combo used from a GC out of state, and it's in good shape, with just a dent and a few scuffs. However, after removing the chassis to check it out (pretty clean for the most part), I notice this:
5711552135_33b2a9e958_b.jpg

5711551909_1e885fd6bb_b.jpg

5712111056_c406d69fec_b.jpg

I kind of noticed it when I first got it a week ago with the back bar on, but much more so when I took it off to get the chassis out and check it out. The amp seems to play and sound fine (in fact, I quite love this amp!) but this looks a bit odd. The strange this is that there's no sign of impact at all on that side of the amp, and there's absolutely no give at all when attempting to wiggle this thing (I'm assuming it's the output transformer?).

What do you guys think? Worth bringing it into the local GC to have them fix it? Not worth it if it works? Replace with a mercury magnetics? :lol:

EDIT

Apologies for the iPhone pics. Someone stole my Canon at work, so it's all I have at the moment.

And......a tube just blew this morning. Awesome. I love my DC, but I'm having crappy luck so far with the Ace! I know, anything can happen with a used amp.

damm. that doesn't look right. I really don't think Mesa would let their amp roll out of the assembly line like that. Something happened to that with the previous owner. I'd get it looked at if you have some return/warranty policy with GC or even Mesa. contact them both

GC locally took it back, no hassles whatsoever. Not only that, but they sourced me one in better condition (the transformer issue aside) and is being shipped in this coming week. I have been one to bag on the big box stores, and lament the demise of the mom & pop shops, but I have to say these guys have been quite fair at this particular store over the last couple years of dealing with them.

This new one they're keeping at the store for me to check out first before taking it home, which is nice. This new(er) one is also black with a tan grill; a little different, and should be quite nice.

Good luck with the newer one, polaris...hope it's in good shape for you. I too have been guilty of bagging on the GC's around Dallas, but everyonce in a while they REALLY surprise me with outstanding customer service. I've bought 2 new Mesa's from one store in particular, and both times they sent the floor model home with me until a new one came in. I thought that was pretty decent of them, as i didn't even ask for that when I laid down my cash! Just in the right place at the right time I guess! :mrgreen:

Good luck with your Ace!!

Well it's here......sort of. :lol:

The new(er) one came in, and while the amp itself is in great shape (better than the first for sure) they shipped ALL of the tubes separately, including the 12AX7 guards. Tubes were smashed, as were the guards. So they're getting me all new Mesa sets from another store, for Tuesday or Wednesday.

It looks great though; black taurus tolex, with the gold(?) grill. The grill looks like gold interwoven with black.......very, very cool looking actually.

Too bad. The ONLY times I've gotten an amp with broken tubes is when the idiot says "the tubes will be removed and packed separately."
Leave 'em the hell in the sockets. That's the way Mesa ships them.
Rant over. Peace.

Yup, that's what Mesa calls the gold jute grill. I quite like it, too. :) I really hope this one works out well for you. I just recently picked up a used Ace head from the classified section on here, and while it's got some minor damage to the tolex, there is nothing else wrong with it. :)

im always wary of buying from a GC like that. They roll out of mesas factory just fine and and the owner can even treat it perfectly but then some of the morons who frequent GC could have caused that.

I can see where some doubt about GC stuff would happen. The one closest to me is like a teen day care on weekends...I simply don't go in there at those times. :?
The other one closer to work is better. They've taken pretty good care of me over the years. The 2 Mesa's I bought (Express and Ace), came right out of the box and into my Jeep...it was cool being the first to play them! :mrgreen:

Advise: If you buy a Mesa right out of the box, keep the box (don't discard it). You never know when you'll need to ship your amp, and their boxes are as sturdy as the products inside them. Great insurance for the future.

Still waiting! I don't know what the F the deal is. It's getting ridiculous. It's been nearly a month, I think.

polaris20 said:
Still waiting! I don't know what the F the deal is. It's getting ridiculous. It's been nearly a month, I think.

so you have a Mesa sitting without any tubes and you're waiting for GC to send you them??

inkwachemis said:
polaris20 said:

so you have a Mesa sitting without any tubes and you're waiting for GC to send you them??

No, they won't even give it to me without the tubes that they're so kindly replacing for me, after nearly 4 weeks. I'm going to get my money back tomorrow. And now they're selling the one I returned again. If they didn't actually fix it, that's pretty lame.

Back