New to Forum, Stiletto Deuce Stage 1 is my amp modded? help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghost22105

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the forum, I've used a Single Recto for years and still get good use out of it, but recently I bought a used Stiletto Deuce stage 1 head, (from $h*tar center!) that they *claimed* has the hollywood mod, but I'm not so sure?? I haven't played through an un-modded vs. modded stage 1 to know the difference, (or even a stage II for that matter), but it makes me wonder if they were full of crap about it being modded, because I have to crank the gain on both the "tite-gain" and "fluid-drive" modes on channel 2 to get any type of good gain sounds, and also, the fluid-gain setting has a TON of bass, and not a lot of gain (which, from what I've researched, plagued the Stage 1's, hence the hollywood mod to correct that.)

I've used a few clean boosts and overdrives and I love the tite-gain setting on channel 2 with these, but I'm kind of frustrated about the fluid-gain mode, I was expecting it to have more gain and less sub-lows like I've read from people that have the hollywood-modded stage 1's...

Any help/advice/suggestions?? It's friday, so Mesa is closed, I'm not sure that even if they ran the serial number if they could tell me it was modded unless it was done by them??!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the amp for the tite-gain mode and the clean/crunch channel 1, but I'd really like to get the most out of this head!

Are there any markings on the chassis regarding the mod? If it was modded, it possibly wasn't performed at Mesa, and they may not have any record of it. Fluid Drive retains a lot of sub-low frequencies, but it's much more usable after the mod.

No, there are no markings at all on the amp to indicate any mods or anything, does Mesa put anything on the chassis to indicate if they've modded an amp or not?
I like the sub-lows on fluid-gain mode, there's just waaaaaay too much in there, and I've only got the bass knob at noon! Haha! I'd like more gain on that mode too, to get more "recto-ish". Also, it's a pretty old stage 1, (serial number in the 600's from the first run) so I'm thinking new tubes all around are a must as well, ( i have no idea if its been retubed at all, has some old, dusty looking mesa el34's in it) I wonder if experimenting with pre-amp tubes would help the fluid gain mode as well?

In order to determine what has or hasn't been modified on the amp, it needs to be opened up. You need to take it to a tech who knows about this mod and can tell you if it's been done correctly. They could probably help you with the tube situation while you're there too.

I have an un-modded stage 1 stiletto. From what I've read, from others that have "modded" Stiletto's, the HM helps the voicing in the tite gain mode and actually reduces the amount of bass in fluid drive mode. Like you, I've never A-B'd a modded VS an un modded or even played thru a stage 2 .....so. There are others here that can give a more accurate discription of sound and feel differences. Silverwolf has a sound knowledge. If your looking for a recto in a stiletto, ain't gunna happen.

I am happy with the stage 1 for what it does for certain types of music that I play. I need more (gain) for other types that I play.

thanks man, that helps a lot, I'm actually really happy with the stiletto as-is, I've been tweaking with it and have found great useable tones on all channels/modes for what I play, I was just pissed that I was told it WAS modded, when I don't think it actually is (although I wouldn't really know! haha!) it's an awesome amp though, I love it.

Ironic. Mine was advertised as a stage 2 on craigslist, it was a stage 1 , i had no clue what the difference was between a 1 and a 2, so I bought then found out that there were some signifigant changes made to the 2. so, there ya go. i have yet to play a 2. got it for a **** good price, tho....

Recto or mk5 in the future......maybe both, i wish.

Thanks.

tt

Thanks TT, that's kind of crazy how close our stories are! I got the head for $700, so I'm still super stoked at the deal, it sounds really awesome through my recto 4x12, and strangely even better through my roadster 2x12 ( my FAVORITE cab ever for some reason!!) I've been boosting it with a heavily modified Tubescreamer clone pedal I have, sounds awesome. TT, do you boost yours at all?

The Stage I is a little rounder, more vintage voiced, less gain and possibly a little warmer. The Stage II is brighter, has more gain on tap, is tighter, and more has more attack.

I also have an un-modded Stage 1. That I have a love, hate, love, hate, and love again relationship with. I've found that in the Fluid Drive mode I turn the bass almost completely off. Otherwise it's just a mudfest. When I'm running in the Tite Gain mode I crank the bass (about 3 o'clock). I don't think the Stiletto is lacking in the gain department. It's a different sounding gain. A lot smoother than the Recto. Less in your face if you will. I usually boost mine with a Fulltone OCD when I play 80's metal. It also doesn't really like to be played at bedroom levels. I think it sounds best when it's cranked. Kinda like a Marshall...

Just going by your description, Id say you DONT have the Hollywood Mod (Fluid Drive Mod). My trident 1 had it and the FD mode was very thin but still had loads of gain. The Tite Gain mode had lots of gain too.

Before you get the mod record some dry tracks. I was amazed how it really sounds recorded.
I have the mod info but I may keep it the way it is.
It also changes with more volume.

Back