Can you get great crunch tones from Stiletto at low volumes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humbucker

Reaction score
I was watching a few YouTube videos where they set up a Mesa Stiletto head and cab next to a Marshall JCM800 half-stack and did a side-by-side comparison and from I could tell, the sounds were very similar, surprisingly so actually.

I used to own a 50W JCM800 half-stack five or six years ago and I ended up getting rid of it because it only sounded good at very loud volumes and the 4x12" cab was too much to lug around too.

Since the Stiletto had that nice Marshall-like crunch on the video, I'm hoping that it has the capability of being able to approximate this tone at lower, saner volume levels. It's got to be better then the JCM800 for this purpose.

Plus, since the JCM800 didn't have much going for it in the "clean" dept. I would imagine that the Stiletto definately has it beat in that regard. The JCM800 was a one trick pony and was great if that's all that you needed to get from an amp but I need something more versatile/practical.

Are you guys getting some good crunch tones out of your Stilettos at reasonable volume levels? And is it better going with the head and cab route as far as tone is concerned?

I think it does a pretty decent job at lower volumes. I do use an attenuator just about all of the time. I have a Dr.Z AirBrake.
Cleans are great on the amp.
I have not played through the Ace combo but I do like the way my Deuce head sounds with a Recto 2x12. It's a good combination and I'd rather make two trips with the head and cabinet as opposed to one trip with a big ol' heavy combo when moving stuff around.

Humbucker said:
I was watching a few YouTube videos where they set up a Mesa Stiletto head and cab next to a Marshall JCM800 half-stack and did a side-by-side comparison and from I could tell, the sounds were very similar, surprisingly so actually.

I used to own a 50W JCM800 half-stack five or six years ago and I ended up getting rid of it because it only sounded good at very loud volumes and the 4x12" cab was too much to lug around too.

Since the Stiletto had that nice Marshall-like crunch on the video, I'm hoping that it has the capability of being able to approximate this tone at lower, saner volume levels. It's got to be better then the JCM800 for this purpose.

Plus, since the JCM800 didn't have much going for it in the "clean" dept. I would imagine that the Stiletto definately has it beat in that regard. The JCM800 was a one trick pony and was great if that's all that you needed to get from an amp but I need something more versatile/practical.

Are you guys getting some good crunch tones out of your Stilettos at reasonable volume levels? And is it better going with the head and cab route as far as tone is concerned?
can you link me to them comparisons please?

I get GREAT crunch tones at lower levels!! Higher levels too, obviously....
I run a 1x12 Ace w/ a 2x12 Recto cab and it's just sounds so rich and primal with the added girth from the recto!! :mrgreen:
....but there is a drawback as Riff said above; this combo is ball-busting heavy...like 82 lbs or something like that. It's funny, I've been hauling mine up and down the stairs the last couple of days, goin out jammin, and I was wondering why I was sleeping so good!! :lol:

A head and cab are much more practical for transport, but there's something about one of these Ace's driving a 4x12 Recto that's just a sound like no other to me. As impractical as it may be, I sure do want one....
It's a comin'!! :twisted:

Back