First Mesa Amp Stiletto Deuce Version 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorboy1

Reaction score
Hey all. Got my first Mesa amp, a mint stiletto deuce ver 1. Traded straight up for my Carvin V3 which sounded ok but I never quite bonded with it. Anyway been playing around with it for a few days and it sounded alright, a little thin sounding and fizzy. Then I swapped out the stock preamp tubes with ones I had lying around. Tung Sol RI for V1, JJs for V2-V4 and a Sovtek LPS for the PI. What a difference. Warmed the amp right up, more gain, tighter response, all of channel 2s modes are now usable. Sounds way better than any marshall I have played thru in resent memory. I threw a Barber OD pedal in front for more gain and this amp just rocks. Why Mesa would use bottom of the barrel sovtek 12ax7a tubes is beyond me. Those are the worst sounding tubes. So anybody thinking of selling there Stiletto Deuce or Ace, spend a few bucks and invest in some new tubes. You might be pleasantly surprised. Next I will probably swap out the power tubes for something better. Any suggestions...

Latest posts

Back