Running Delay in the loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTSTWO

Reaction score
I'm running a new TC Electronic nova delay in the effect loop of my Stiletto. The past 2 times I've turned it on I've been getting this weird screaching noise. Hard to explain, but I'll try......The noise does not start right away, maybe after 20 30 seconds or so and it gets louder unless I turn the delay off. The screaching noise pulses with whatever delay time It's set to. Side note: I've been running a 10 band EQ in the loop for a long time with no issues. I think either it's the delay unit or the V? tubes in the head, or both?
I have no idea. This is the first amp I have ever used the effect loop with......

*Tonight I'm going to run the delay out front to see if the noise problem goes away.

*My effect loop level is moderate around 12-1 oclock. The output level on the delay is set low to medium so I dont' think I'm over taxing output.

*Maybe it's time for new pre amp tubes?

Sorry for the long THD. Hope someone can help.

Tom T

Thanks for the link, ifailedshapes. Interesting read. I'm using the TCE 12 volt wall wart, it's the correct power unit for the nova delay. So I don't think is a voltage issue. I'm still going to try to run it up front to see if it duplicates the problem. If it does not, then one variable is eliminated, then I'll have to crack the head open and check the pre-amp tubes.

Thanks again.

Ran delay out front as the last effect as follows....Guitar>Deja Vibe>JHII od\dist>Nova Delay>amp....MXR 10 band in loop. No issues. Ran it with dist at full and low in clean, OD at low and medium pushing overdrive channels set at 11-12 o'clock. Ran clean as well. No issues. I assume it is not the Delay at fault., I have not had any pre-amp tube typical issues as described in the amp manual, so I'm wondering. It might be worth it to pull it out of the chassis to check tubes anyway. I've had the amp since early 09, it was supposedly re-tubed before I purchased so it might be worth a look see.

Nice project for Saturday.

IMO, it sounds like a preamp tube issue. The owner's manual states that V4 is FX send/return. You might try replacing that. Maybe V5, too for the phase inverter just for good measure.

wannabweiland said:
IMO, it sounds like a preamp tube issue. The owner's manual states that V4 is FX send/return. You might try replacing that. Maybe V5, too for the phase inverter just for good measure.

Thanks, That's what I was thinking too. Didin't get a chance to check the tubes this weekend. Next Saturday maybe.....

tt

Masters set at.....

Channel 1. 10 o'clock. 50 watt setting -Don't use 150 much
Channel 2. 7 to 8 o'clock. 50 watt setting -Ditto

Output is always set at 3 o'clock, rather high.

I've been using channel 2 more lately and not too loud obviously. I discovered the issue while playing in channnel 1,. So. Maybe I should kick the Output down?

Since running the delay out front, last in the small chain of effects, no problems encountered.

Pre-amp tubes passed all checks. I'm keeping th delay out front for now.

Just an update.

Did you try adjusting the level of the loop? I run a boss dd20 through the loop just fine but my memory man sounds better in front so there it stays.

I used to have a Nova Delay. Have you done this?

Copied and pasted from the manual:
Input Level Calibration
Your Nova Delay pedal is per default set up to work well right out the box - just as any other stomp box pedal. However, you can optimize the performance of the Nova Delay pedals AD/DA converters by calibrating the input sensitivity. Follow this step-by-step guide:
• Calibration of the input sensitivity should be done to the max. expected input level. Therefore begin by turning on boosters etc. that are placed prior to the Nova Delay pedal in the signal chain.
• Press and hold the MANUAL button until the 6 delay type LEDs are lit.
• Play with your loudest* sound for a few seconds and watch some of the 6 LEDs turn off one by one. How many that are turned off, depend on the output of your guitar. When no further changes seem to appear, the pedal is calibrated.
• Press any key to exit. • The pedal is now calibrated
* By your “loudest” sound we mean the sound with the highest dynamic content. This is most likely a clean sound as overdrive sounds per nature are compressed.

I keep the loop level at 12oclock.

I did read about the input level calibration. I have not done that yet, good heads up, thanks!

ifailedshapes said:
I used to have a Nova Delay. Have you done this?

Copied and pasted from the manual:
Input Level Calibration
Your Nova Delay pedal is per default set up to work well right out the box - just as any other stomp box pedal. However, you can optimize the performance of the Nova Delay pedals AD/DA converters by calibrating the input sensitivity. Follow this step-by-step guide:
• Calibration of the input sensitivity should be done to the max. expected input level. Therefore begin by turning on boosters etc. that are placed prior to the Nova Delay pedal in the signal chain.
• Press and hold the MANUAL button until the 6 delay type LEDs are lit.
• Play with your loudest* sound for a few seconds and watch some of the 6 LEDs turn off one by one. How many that are turned off, depend on the output of your guitar. When no further changes seem to appear, the pedal is calibrated.
• Press any key to exit. • The pedal is now calibrated
* By your “loudest” sound we mean the sound with the highest dynamic content. This is most likely a clean sound as overdrive sounds per nature are compressed.

I calibrated the input level and it seems to work fine in the loop.

Thanks for the help! :D

Latest posts

Back