stiletto for blues?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsabo

Reaction score
what do you guys think? how well will a stiletto do with it?

also how close does an ace get to the deuce demo that timmons is known for??

thanks

Any amp will do "blues" but if you're strictly a blues player, then there are much better options for you.

Regarding Timmons tones, he states very clearly that he prefers running 100 watts, so while the Ace shares the same preamp, there will be a slight variation in the power section which will have a minute difference in the tone.

Soapbox moment: there is so much more to a player's tone than amp settings. Unless you have the same fingers playing the same guitar through the same effects through the same amp into the same cabinet (...exhale...), you won't sound like them. You may have some similarities, but I don't want you to be disappointed when you get your Stiletto, dial in your Andy Timmons settings, and then sound nothing like him. 8)

ifailedshapes said:
Soapbox moment: there is so much more to a player's tone than amp settings. Unless you have the same fingers playing the same guitar through the same effects through the same amp into the same cabinet (...exhale...), you won't sound like them. You may have some similarities, but I don't want you to be disappointed when you get your Stiletto, dial in your Andy Timmons settings, and then sound nothing like him. 8)

Not to derail the post, but I couldn't agree more with this statement. No matter which amp and guitar combination I use, I still sound like me. With some older recordings I have, I'm not even sure which combinations of these I'm using. Maybe its my ears failing me, but I can't get away from me sounding like me regardless of humbuckers or singles, tubes or SS, rosewood or maple, bolt on or set in, etc... Only slightly different flavors, but still me. Of course, if I were any good this wouldn't be a problem.

BTW - I think my Deuce does a nice job for almost any type of music with a sweep of the gain knob.

I'm a blues player. The Stiletto sure does have some good blues tones, but is not what I chose at the end of the day.

It probably depends what blues tone you favour. If you like Gary Moore's high gain Marshall tone or the Clapton Beano tone, the Stiletto can get there.

If you want Freddy King or SRV which are more the classic Fender blues tones, the Stiletto doesn't fair as well.

Reverb. :?

I play some blues and I think a nice lush reverb would help. Never tried any so called boxed reverb units with mine.....Still experimenting with delay unit.

I find that with the right amount of gain and volume and twisting the volume back on the guitar, can get close to some good blues tones.

fwiw.

I use it for blues, but I also have a super reverb. But the ace combo I've been using is great for a more gritty blues tone, I dial back the highs and get a good purr going. I use a EHX holy grail plus on a hall setting . Really lush reverb in a compact pedal.
Definitely try one out....

I play blues with my Ace and DC2 but it's more "hard" type blues. Not quite as gainy as Gary Moore, but close. I generally like the Ace over the DC for this...it's just the "sound" I've always been looking for.

I gave up a killer Super Reverb for my Ace and I've never looked back. I used a few stomp boxes with the Super and was pretty happy, UNTIL....I played this Ace in the store! Well you can guess the rest... :mrgreen:

I forgot that I once sat in with a blues band for a couple gigs and dialed in some killer fat EC From the Cradle tones with my trident.

It was spongy, silicon, crunch and barber DD

Latest posts

Back