Compressor recomendations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmain

Reaction score
Hey looking to add a compressor to the board. Anybody got any advice or experience with one and a stiletto? Thanks!

I was all fire up to do the same at one point but never followed through.
My research at the time lead me to the Barber Tone Press.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/tonepress.htm

When I actually do pull the trigger I'm convinced that this is the one I want.

Thanks for the help. I've been looking at that one and the keeley. My local GC doesn't carry either probably going have to drive a bit up to seattle to find either.

dmain said:
Thanks for the help. I've been looking at that one and the keeley. My local GC doesn't carry either probably going have to drive a bit up to seattle to find either.

Keeley seems to colour the tone a bit. Not necessarily a bad thing. There's also the Rothwell Love Squeeze as well. Personally tempted to score the Barber Tone Press sometime down the track...

Another vote for the Barber. Anything with the Barber name kicks ***. Also the Boss CS-1 with a nice mod kit like the Monty Allums opto plus kit would be a great alternative.

really like what i see on youtube about the Rothwell the Barber is really good as well. Thanks all

I use a CMATMODS Deluxe Signa Comp with my Stiletto Deuce II. Sounds great. I tried a few other compressors and they didn't do much for my amp. The CMATMODS seems to be relatively transparent and there's enough tweakability that you could probably get any sound out of it that you want. There'll be people who claim it's a bit bright, but I don't notice a difference in brightness whatsoever with the Stiletto. I know a lot of people dig the Wampler Ego comp, too, but it's pricey, so needless to say I haven't tried it.

+1 on the CMATMODS Deluxe Signa Comp. Although I have an Express that I use it with. Sounds wonderful. Maybe it does color the sound. All I know is, it's the only pedal I have other than a DD 20 and it's always on for clean and dirty.

I know that a lot of people are turned off by the cheaper stuff, but I love my Rocktron Big Crush. I got it for $30.00 new, and I hear very little, if any, sound coloration at all from it. The compressor really did wonders - I now use the crunch channel versus tite gain because I know get adequate sustain and more balls from it.

At the same time I got the Rocktron, I picked up a Boss DS-1, mainly for nostalgia purposes. I was going to bring it back because the nostalgia wore off pretty quickly, but then I read in a Neal Schon forum that he used the pedal as a boost with the tone and gain at zero and the level about maxed. I started using this in front of the crunch channel with the gain on the amp maxed combined with the Big Crush, and the results are awesome! Using my Les Paul, I can pretty much nail Schon's tone from the Journey Escape album.

I have had my Ace since 2007, and have invariably gone back to my old Tite Gain settings any time I make a change. This is the first time that I found a tone I am happier with.

The 2 downsides to the Compressor are that I don't like the way the clean channel sounds with it (but I don't use clean much anyway) and I had to get a noise suppressor, but the noise gate actually improved my tone even more - I actually should have had it all along

The moral to my rant is that for $70.00 I got two pedals and a tone that I love

Well I went cheap :mrgreen: I picked up a new Behringer DC9 for $25 to see if like using a compressor. good reviews on it actually. I figured for $25 not the end of the world if i don't like it. Some say its a copy of the MXR dyna comp.

I still have a Dyna-Comp, I still don't use it :x . I tried and tried and it really didn't do anything for me.. I do have a friend that recently purchased a Barber Tone Press and he loves it, he's running it in a JCM 800 rig.

I've never really used compression, but I like knowing things, and my quest for knowledge led me to the Barber Tone Press. :) I can't offer any personal experience. My Nova System has a compressor, and while I've fussed with it, I never use it.

So i got my compressor in the mail. First thoughts are I like using a compressor :) The unit itself is well... a $25 pedal. It's not plastic but the knobs probably won't last forever on my board. Controls are surprisingly responsive although backwards in my mind on the intensity knob as all the way to the left is full compression and all the way to the right is very little compression. The Humbuckers really came to life on my Ibanez semi hollow for picking, leads, heavy or clean rhythm & so far this guitar seems to pair better with the pedal than my Hamer with P-90's but this was my first time playing with it. There is some sound coloration but not much and did not notice any noise that was unacceptable so overall for $25 I'm happy.

Back