Anybody with the Bias mod running 6L6?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochrisl

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do the bias mod on my Stiletto II and was wondering where 6L6's should be biased at and can you get there with the adjustable bias mod?

Hey:
Yeah; for kicks I've put some 6L6's in my Stiletto....both BEFORE and AFTER the bias mod.
Use the regular min/max recommendations for 6L6 tubes as a basic guideline and it'll work out O.K.

I didn't leave 6L6's in the Stiletto....just testing and evaluating. But some Mesa 6L6 tubes measured in at about 40ma/mv before I did the mod. I like my 6L6's to measure in mid 30's to low 40's. Don't remember which color code they were (sorry).

In both pre-mod and post-mod tests I was using the 6L6's only in the inner pair...where they only came into the circuit on the 100 watt setting. I really got a Stiletto to have an EL34 based amp to play along with with my Lonestar and didn't want to totally go over to 6L6's.
I do think the mixed sound of the EL34 outer pair and the 6L6 inner pair gives a very strong and distinctive tone. It does sounds good. I just can't decide whether I really want to use it that way...but if you get the chance...try it out...you may find it to be perfect for you.

Cheers, Charles

I do have 2 6L6's but I wasn't sure about mixing them. I prefer El34's in general but I would like to try it out.

ochrisl said:
I am getting ready to do the bias mod on my Stiletto II and was wondering where 6L6's should be biased at and can you get there with the adjustable bias mod?

hey, let us know your findings when u get it installed. I've been wanting to do this for sometime now. Just putting it off and waiting for more input on other ppl. thanks!

I tried out 2 6L6's in the outer sockets. Meh, didn't change the sound much.

Back