Another Cab Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on an Ace head. I know most Stiletto users use cabs with Vintage 30s, but I have a 3/4 back with a C90. Does anyone else on here have any experience with Stilettos and C90s?

I'm curious about this too. By the way, did you see the wine taurus Ace head for sale in the classified section? Pretty nice.

It is lovely. That's the one I'm looking at. I've been in contact with the seller and hope to be able to pull the trigger soon.

I got rid of my C90s by the time I picked up my stiletto. But I think they would complement the stiletto well. Its a darker speaker. V30s take some knob tweakin to get them right. V30s paired with T75s are the ultimate stiletto speaker combo IMO. The C90s dont tend to reproduce all the super high end that the V30s do. All that Fuzz and stuff thats more noise than tone. So its more mello and darker than the V30. Should be cool

droptrd said:
I got rid of my C90s by the time I picked up my stiletto. But I think they would complement the stiletto well. Its a darker speaker. V30s take some knob tweakin to get them right. V30s paired with T75s are the ultimate stiletto speaker combo IMO. The C90s dont tend to reproduce all the super high end that the V30s do. All that Fuzz and stuff thats more noise than tone. So its more mello and darker than the V30. Should be cool

I have a Deuce which I pair with any of 2X12 wV30's Open, 2X12 wG12T-75's closed, and 1X12 wC90 3/4 closed. I rotate these with the head depending on my mood, but I agree with droptrd - the C90 with my Deuce is smoother and a bit darker than the V30's.

No exp with the Ace and a C90 speaker, but I run my Ace through a 4x12 with Greenback reissues and its GREAT. I recommend! Keep in mind that the Stiletto is a bright amp, but it cuts very well in a band mix. Get a good set of tubes in there, and some dark speakers and you're good to go.

I've tried a few speakers with it, and the best I've found are the G12-V30s, G12H30, G12-75T, and all the Greenback variants...

I'm using a 2x12 Recto w/ V30s under my 1x12 Ace and it's woking well for me!! The brightness was really tamed by the 2X12. I haven't used a graphic EQ since I hooked it up, and best of all, the knobs all have meaning now!! :mrgreen:

But I have to wonder...what would a 4X12 sound like :twisted: !!!

hi rocksalt7, I read you have 2x12 rectifier cab under your 1x12 ACE.
I'm also planning to buy one for my 1x12 ACE..

Mesa 2x12 cab is expensive, but I hope it's worth the money. When you added this cab, you really hear much difference? Are you hooking up the cab and also the internal speaker to the 4 ohm outputs of the ace?

Is there a different (sound wise) when using the 212 cab with 4 ohm or 8 ohm? (only cab, not internal speaker ACE) Some people say 4 ohm sounds thinner? dont know if that's true..

Now I sometimes uses a ENGL pro 212 cab (vertical) but I like to change to 2x12 rectifier cab.

thanks !

Hey alie123....
Yep...got a 2x12 under the Ace, and I can honestly say it was the biggest change tonewise that I've tried to date. The v30's in the 2x12 compliment the internal speaker very well, and yes, I run all 3 using both 4 ohm jacks. To my ears, things seem a little brighter at 8 ohms vs. 4 ohms, but it's really hard for me to tell. It is a bit easier to hear with my DC-2 however, so it's all in the amp I guess.

If you're wanting a 2x12 to run w/ your Ace, I say go for it!! Once I got mine hooked up, I've never looked back!! :mrgreen: Maybe you can score a used one...that's what I did and saved quite a few bucks. The bass response w/ the Recto cab really turned this amp into a killer :twisted: !! Along w/ the 2x12, I'm running a pair of TungSol EL34B's in the power slots, and a TungSol 12ax7 (RI) in V2, Mesa's everywhere else. I'm really happy with the sound right now!

I'm starting to seriously look for a 4x12 to go with it, or maybe even another 2x12 and run them all together. The driver behind all this is a show I went to in Dallas a couple of years ago where the guitarist had an Ace atop a 4x12 Recto and the sound was HUGE!!! I so badly wanted to ask him if I could get up there and try it out....It was truly the most awesome tone I've ever heard! It was deep and clear and I got up as close to the stage as I could, and it just flat growled at me all night!!!That's what I'm seeking! :mrgreen:

OK...I've gone on quite long enough :wink: ...Good luck on your quest!!

Thanks man, I think I also must have the recto 2x12 cab.

This would be great. For some smaller gigs I do not have enough headroom to gig with my 1x12 only, so this would complement perfect with the extra 2x12 recto cab. I will have a look for a used one, .. A few days ago I saw Andy Timmons performing (Im a very BIG fan of Andy) and offcourse he was playing his stiletto and lonestar. He had the 4x12 recto cab for his stiletto, and the 2x12 recto cab for his lonestar. Man what a sound, and what a playing. That man is so f&**&* good, I love him. Seen him for the 4th time, always perfect playing and perfect sound.

Hope the 2x12 recto fits under the 1x12 ace, but If Im right, the recto is a little bigger than the 1x12 ACE. Do you have picture of your rig?

thanks! rock on!

Anybody ever try a 15" cab ala a Bassman with a stiletto? thinking might be a good marriage with the v30 in my combo.

I have to take issue with the V30 users who find the cab to be "darker" --- whatever that means. I find that it's SIGNIFICANTLY less treble biased and, if that's what's meant by "darker", so be it.

I've played a vertical 2x12 with V30s and a C90 1x12 -- though the difference is closed-back/open-back respectively.

I'm not sure I would say it's "darker"...I know I get a much better bass response w/ the 2x12 than without. Once I got the 2x12 hooked up, I was able to pull my EQ pedal out of the loop and roll my bass knob back just a little on both channels. it's perfect in a band situation now....well, it was before too, but now it just sounds fuller and rounder than before.

I think MusicMan tried a C-90 in his Ace when he had it and liked it pretty well. I may look around for some of those myself... :mrgreen:

ive been using vintage 30's, and i have some g12t-75's sitting here..was thinking about doing an x pattern in my 4x12

That's supposed to be one of the better combinations of speakers I've heard about. If I can score me a 4x12 Mesa cab, that's what I'm going to try...I've got V30's in my 2x12 now and a pair of G12T-75's in an Avatar cab I just scored a couple of weeks ago. :mrgreen:
The mind reels at the possibilities!!! :shock:

rocksalt7 said:
That's supposed to be one of the better combinations of speakers I've heard about. If I can score me a 4x12 Mesa cab, that's what I'm going to try...I've got V30's in my 2x12 now and a pair of G12T-75's in an Avatar cab I just scored a couple of weeks ago. :mrgreen:
The mind reels at the possibilities!!! :shock:

yeah im trying this in the next couple of days!

Latest posts

Back