Ace combo inbound. Update with review.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyeo1

Reaction score
I'm going to try an Ace combo. It was on Ebay last week and the seller spelled it wrong in the listing. Stilleto. So it may have kept it under the radar and i got it for $800. I've been lukewarm on the Stiletto's but i want to rip the V30 out of there and put a Scumback M75 in to see how it does. Anyone want a V30?

I have an Electra Dyne so having a brighter amp is actually a good thing. Funny, I've been through some seriously good modded Marshall's like Cameron's and I'm trying these small combos out now. But for me, I'm stuck in my basement and i feel like a tool for having 4x12's while I'm not playing out.

So I've had the Ace for a few days now. When i fired it up i didn't think it sounded great. I then unplugged the internal speaker and hooked it into my Port City OS2x12 which is loaded with Scumback M75/H75. BAMM, sounds like a totally different amp. I'm boosting it with a BB+ and it's a seriously cool high gain amp, it really takes the BB+ well. And while it's got a ton of gain with the pedal on it's still not that noisey and it can sound great at low volumes.

I wondered what speaker was in the combo so i took the back cover off and found a G12K-100. And yes, i think those speakers suck balls so I'm not suprised. But i have an MC90 on the way for the combo. I'm not going anywhere near V30's with this amp and I'm puzzled why Mesa ever did to begin with. But playing through the 2x12 sounds great and i don't expect any speaker in the combo to come close.

While the Ace doesn't have the same amount of gain as say, a modded Marshall by Cameron, with a boost it surely is in the neighborhood and i look forward to seeing if this amp can hang with some of those other modded Marshalls, and other high gain heads.

Hey danyeo1,
I made the same discovery about a year ago when I installed a pair of M75s in one of my 2x12 Recto cabinets. They're a fantastic match for the Stiletto. To my ears at least. I still have another 2x12 Recto and a 2x12 Stiletto cab with V30s but eventually I'll at least put some Scumbacks in the Recto cab.
I'd like to try the M75/M55 mix next time around.

Riff Blister said:
Hey danyeo1,
I made the same discovery about a year ago when I installed a pair of M75s in one of my 2x12 Recto cabinets. They're a fantastic match for the Stiletto. To my ears at least. I still have another 2x12 Recto and a 2x12 Stiletto cab with V30s but eventually I'll at least put some Scumbacks in the Recto cab.

BB+, Scumback M75/H75, Tite gain, and suddenly i don't have any GAS to drop $2500 on a modded Marshall.

danyeo1 said:
Riff Blister said:
Hey danyeo1,

BB+, Scumback M75/H75, Tite gain, and suddenly i don't have any GAS to drop $2500 on a modded Marshall.
:shock: Can I post this quote on RT? :lol:

On the cheap, the stilettos sound great with Celestion T75s too. Hard to touch the Scumbacks though.

Congrats on the NAD. I still really miss my Stiletto.

Back