Ace Combo vs. Head w/ Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Is there any sonic difference between the 1x12" combo and a head with the 1x12" Stiletto extension cab? I'm torn between both, and am willing to go for one versus the other if one sounds better. Thanks.

Go with the head + cab. More versitile if you get or can use different cabs different cabs down the road or want to use the cab with a different head, more portable and easier to move than a combo , and a little less vibration on the tubes.

Thanks for the reply, but that totally avoided my question. I'm not looking for advice; I'm asking if there is a difference in sound. Thanks, though.

ifailedshapes said:
Sub-question: does anyone use the head with a Rectifier 2x12" horizontal cabinet?

YEs
ifailedshapes said:
I'm asking if there is a difference in sound

YEs its subtle but there.

The combo amps IMO 1/12 didn't sound as full sounding than the horizontal rectifier cab with the stiletto head. The combo also sounded thinner than the rectifer cab and didn't have as much low end thump.

oh - and another thing - I have always had more luck it terms of reliability issues with heads and extension cabs than combo amps.

ifailedshapes said:
Thanks for the reply, but that totally avoided my question. I'm not looking for advice; I'm asking if there is a difference in sound. Thanks, though.

yes!

If you buy the combo, you are getting an Ace with a V30 speaker in it, open back configuration.

I know you mentioned specially the head + Stilleto 1x12 extension, but I think you should consider your options. If you choose the heab + cab route, you are free to explore your options more in speaker/cab setup. Speaker/cab setup is quite signifigant in your overall sound. which is what you are asking. There are many different speaker options that you can get, some a better option than the V30 in the Ace combo IMO. Cab is a whole other deal too. Open back or closed back? You want an airy 3-d sound of an open back, or the tight thump of a closed back?

inkwachemis said:
yes!

If you buy the combo, you are getting an Ace with a V30 speaker in it, open back configuration.

I know you mentioned specially the head + Stilleto 1x12 extension, but I think you should consider your options. If you choose the heab + cab route, you are free to explore your options more in speaker/cab setup. Speaker/cab setup is quite signifigant in your overall sound. which is what you are asking. There are many different speaker options that you can get, some a better option than the V30 in the Ace combo IMO. Cab is a whole other deal too. Open back or closed back? You want an airy 3-d sound of an open back, or the tight thump of a closed back?

DOUBLE FAIL!

#1 - Ace combos are closed back.

#2 - I am not asking "how do open-back and closed-back cabs differ" or "how do different speaker types vary in sound".

Ace combos are closed back with a Celestion Vintage 30. I like the way they sound. I've played one multiple times and love it. I would rather have a head/cab setup and, since I like the sound of the combo, am curious if the Stiletto extension cab sounds the same as the combo. I am not tied to having to have a head/cab setup, though, so if the general consensus is that the combo sounds better, then I'll order a combo.

Also (and this is for all the people trying to give me advice on why head/cab setups are so versatile) don't forget the the actual amplifier chassis is the same in both, and they both have the same speaker outputs. Just because a combo amp has a built-in speaker cab doesn't mean you have to use it!

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm asking a very direct, simple question and most people are talking circles around it without cutting to the core of the issue.

*steps off soapbox*

The Ace combo has a closed back and a V30. The Stiletto cab has a closed back and a V30. I don't think there will be any discernable difference in sound. I don't have a Stiletto but I have a Lonestar head with a 1x12 Lonestar cab and it sounds just like the Lonestar 1x12 combo.

ziehmrd said:
The Ace combo has a closed back and a V30. The Stiletto cab has a closed back and a V30. I don't think there will be any discernable difference in sound. I don't have a Stiletto but I have a Lonestar head with a 1x12 Lonestar cab and it sounds just like the Lonestar 1x12 combo.

That's what I think, too, but I was hoping someone on here might have actual firsthand experience.

OK, ...I think I can help you out on this one. I use BOTH Ace 1x12 combo and a 2x12 Recto cab, and there is most definitely a difference in sound.

The combo by itself is pretty good especially if you'll use an EQ in the loop. It can get nice and dark if you set it up right.

Using the 2x12 Recto cab changes EVERYTHING!! Massive low end, full bodied highs; just a grand sonic experience, IMHO!! I've had my 2x12 cab for over a year now and haven't ever looked back. I'm sure you'll be happy w/ the head and 2x12 setup.

Just FYI, I run the combo speaker AND the 2x12 together about 95% of the time. After almost 2-1/2 years I'm still amazed at the sounds I can get out of this amp!! :mrgreen:

That definitely answers one of my questions. :) My original question still has yet to receive a direct answer, but I'm sure that the Stiletto Cab probably sounds identical to the combo.

The stiletto 1x12 combo will sound different then a stiletto head with a 1x12 cabinet, reason for this is the 1x12 cabinet is bigger then the stiletto 1x12 cabinet in terms of internal air volume. The 1x12 cabint will probaly have a little more bottem end.

ifailedshapes said:
That definitely answers one of my questions. :) My original question still has yet to receive a direct answer, but I'm sure that the Stiletto Cab probably sounds identical to the combo.

Question 1 answer: Yes, of course. You have too many choices in cabinet selections for there not to be a difference. If you have a v30 in a closed back combo, and a v30 in a closed back external cab ,you will still get some tonal variation, though it would be subtle.

Question 2 answer: No, and if I did I'd be scared to elaborate.

Back