Veteran Mesa user .. new to Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniecrump

Reaction score
I have been curious about the Stiletto heads for a while so I decided to pick one up and see what all of the buzz was about with the Stage I.

I found an almost new 2004 Deuce Stage I for $750.00 so I bought it of course. And when I mean new I mean someone bought it, played it a few times in their room, put it in a corner, and then took it out a few years later and sold it. I quickly came to the same conclusion as many Stiletto users. I am looking for a little more gain without getting to heavy. With a little more bottom and a little fuller sound. The gain is great but it seems to be missing something I can't really put my finger on.

My options are ..
1. New complete high gain JJ E34L tube set.
2. New complete high gain JJ KT77 tube set.
3. Keep the stock Mesa tubes and add the BIAS kit.
4. Mix one or more of the above options.
5. Sell it and get a dual rec. This is what I played for 15 years.
6. Sell it and get a Stage II.

I do have a question about the rectifier vs the solid state switch. Does the solid state switch bypass all tubes or just some of them?

Thanks,
Donnie

donniecrump said:
I have been curious about the Stiletto heads for a while so I decided to pick one up and see what all of the buzz was about with the Stage I.

I found an almost new 2004 Deuce Stage I for $750.00 so I bought it of course. And when I mean new I mean someone bought it, played it a few times in their room, put it in a corner, and then took it out a few years later and sold it. I quickly came to the same conclusion as many Stiletto users. I am looking for a little more gain without getting to heavy. With a little more bottom and a little fuller sound. The gain is great but it seems to be missing something I can't really put my finger on.

My options are ..
1. New complete high gain JJ E34L tube set.
2. New complete high gain JJ KT77 tube set.
3. Keep the stock Mesa tubes and add the BIAS kit.
4. Mix one or more of the above options.

I've read that the Stiletto does benefit from an increase in bias, however I've never tried it myself.

I can say from tracking Stiletto threads for years that retubing the amp probably won't give you what you're after. Although the JJ E34L does have more bottom end than regular EL34s.

One thing to remember is that the original Stiletto was Mesa's take on the whole Marshall thing... and Marshalls generally get boosted with pedals.

And I'd reserve final judgement on the Stiletto until you've heard it in a band mix with a bit of volume to it. I think that's where they shine (just like a Marshall).

I do have a question about the rectifier vs the solid state switch. Does the solid state switch bypass all tubes or just some of them?

Solid state disables the rectifier tubes, which is part of the power supply and not the audio circuit. The remainder of the amp functions normally.

Thanks for the reply.
I have yet to get it to band level volume. Hopefully this weekend.

The funny thing is when I had a dual rec I flipped switches and turned knobs until I got that Marshall sound. I actually like the idea of a Marshall/Mesa sound. I think I need to spend a little more time with the settings before I go crazy. I feel the sound I am looking for is there somewhere.

I have been reading about putting an EQ in the effects loop. From what I have read this will help shape the overall sound and balance out the low/mid/high ranges.

I picked up a Stage I last week. Before that, I had a Marshall JCM900 SL-X that I sold to fund the Stiletto. I was a little unsure at first since I haven't played a Stiletto in years, but after spending some time with the Stiletto and cranking it up a bit I'm very happy. I really liked my SL-X, but it was lacking something... that something was the power section of a Mesa.

I have my Triple Recto's orange channel set to vintage and dialed in to sound somewhat Marshall-y, but it just didn't get close enough. The Stiletto nails it for me. Channel 2 set to tight gain:

Presence: 10-11 o'clock
Bass: 1-2
Mid: 2-3
Treble: 11-12
Gain: 10-11

There's plenty of low end without muddying up and the high end is fairly tamed, yet still has a bright, Marshall-y crunch. Crank the output a bit and let the power tubes breathe some life into your sound.

If youre a long time recto guy like I was, youll find every other amp you play will sound weak in the bottom by comparrison. I had to really distance myself from the rectos to truely see the stiletto. As far the lowend thing, to truely get it there you need an EQ in the loop and just bump 100 and 200 up a couple db. Or send it to FJA for a depth mod. also, if you like the titegain mode, the hollywood mod is amazing for the Duece I. It does however kinda ruin the FD mode IMO. But it adds some gain and bottom to the titegain mode. Still need and EQ in the loop though.

Thanks for the replies so far. Like Guitarmiester I had a Recto and dialed it in to a Marshall'ish sound. I will try those settings for sure listed below.

That is the one odd thing I have noticed about the Stiletto Stage I. The stock EQ can really play just as much of a role in gain as the gain dial. Odd but then again I am not that familiar with the Stiletto just yet so I assume this is by design.

I did order the bias mod. This seems to be a good way to shape up the head behind the scenes but will not change the overall sound of the amp like other mods. I am recording samples for the settings I have dialed in so far. I will post them when I get the bias mod installed.

Till then,
Donnie

I played Rectos for years then went to a Stage I Stiletto with the Fluid Drive mod. It's like night and day...the Stiletto is not going to have as much bottom end as a Recto. I didn't think I would like it, but in a band setting it sounded great. I really didn't need that bottom end as much as I thought.

I'm even tuning down to A, and it suited me just well.

I know this is a crazy question for someone who is about to bias mod their Stiletto but ...

I am looking at multimeters but I know little about electronics in general. Amazon has a pretty good one for a good price.
Mastech 30-Range Digital Multimeter with Temperature Measurement
Item #: MS8264

Can I use this multimeter to bias my Stiletto? I am getting the reader from Mansfield as well and it will plug into the multimeter.

Another crazy question ..
Can I put in 6L6 tubes in my Stiletto after I get the bias mod installed? I have no intention of doing this but if I ever sell my head I may list that as a selling point.

Thanks,
Donnie.

The meter should be fine. Any $10 meter will do the trick. As far as 6L6s, I dont know the Mansfield kit but Id say no. The amp is designed for 34s. If youre looking for more of a 6L6 sound, try some KT77s. They will bias up like 34s.

mikey383 said:
...the Stiletto is not going to have as much bottom end as a Recto. I didn't think I would like it, but in a band setting it sounded great. I really didn't need that bottom end as much as I thought.

That's one thing people don't realize. Most Mesa amps have too much low end to the point where you can have the bass at 9 o'clock and still have more than enough low end. The Stiletto is a whole different monster and voicing that isn't typical of Mesa. You can have the bass past 12 o'clock without having this excessively boomy low end, which you can't really do with any other Mesa.

I am not going to run 6L6s. I was just curious if someone asked.

I actually found one thing on the booming bass thing. I am running a Marshall JCM 800 4X12 cab with G12-75 speakers. This actually allows me to add more low end without getting to bottom heavy. I am working on some before and after audio clips. I am going to post them after I get my bias mod in.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back