NAD! Stiletto content

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmiester

Reaction score
I don't post here very often, but I think it's about time to...

I sold Marshall JCM900 SL-X this past Tuesday, which I kept thinking I'd regret big time. I really didn't want to let that amp go, but with my interweb skills I found another amp that was the deciding factor in definitely selling the SL-X.

I'm a long time Mesa user. It's very hard for me to get away from that massive Mesa sound. The SL-X was my attempt at getting that hot rodded Marshall sound, which it did very well, but it lacked the big, full bodied Mesa power. I was happy with the SL-X, but it was still missing something.

A good 5 or 6 years back I stumbled across a Mesa Stiletto Deuce that I was glued to for almost 2 hours in a local music shop. At the time, I didn't have the extra money to drop since I needed a new car, just moved, and was about to start college. Someone on another forum gave me some advice to keep my gear obsession to a minimum. Instead of buying amp after amp, make a list of what I want. If the amp isn't on that list, move along.

I put my very small list together and realized what I needed to search for, a Stiletto Deuce. I managed to find a new one for an absolutely amazing deal and bought it a few days before selling my SL-X. The Stiletto arrived today. I tore through the packaging like an 8 year old on Christmas morning, plugged it in, and was overly impressed with the amp.

I've done a lot of reading up on the Stiletto's ever since the first time I played one. You can easily find a lot on them, but most of the reviews really aren't all that accurate. Yes, this thing is Mesa's take on a hot rodded Marshall and then some. It's way more responsive and versatile than I remembered. The cleans blow any Marshall out of the water, there's just no comparison there. Easily one of the best clean channels you can find. 3 different clean voicings - fat clean, tight clean, and crunch. Channel 1 Crunch is instant Andy Timmons.

Channel 2 has 3 more voicings - crunch, tight gain, and fluid drive. The range between these 3 channels is incredible. Crunch is an even hotter British voicing that will make Marshall users cry. Tight gain begins to kick into a more modern EL34 sound. Think Mark IV lead channel, but clearer and tighter. Fluid drive is even more modern and beefier sounding, yet still very tight.

I'm surprised the Stiletto's aren't more popular. I honestly didn't remember the Stiletto being this good. Any of the regret I had from selling my SL-X is totally gone. With exception of a small practice amp, I can honestly say my amp needs are totally covered. That's a bold statement, but it's true.

Enough talk, here are some pics for you all.

2mzjqc1.jpg

2dbl9ts.jpg

am9ov5.jpg

2ro3v3b.jpg

2dtuezp.jpg

zjys5s.jpg

2udustz.jpg

While I am a single rectifier fan and owner, I also have a JCM2000 DSL. I purchased a Deuce for it's "hot rodded marshall" reputation. When I tried them side by side in the store at lower volume, I thought the Deuce killed the Marshall.

Then I played them live (loud hard rock), switching between heads after 10 songs. As much as I wanted to like the deuce, everyone in the band and those in the know who were listening out in audience, preferred the Marshall. Granted I was using a 1960 cabinet for each which may have toned down the deuce or changed its voice, but the Marshall won out. The deuce did not push as much air through the 1960 cabinet at higher volumes and the mid range sound of the Marshall cut through the mix better. I think the high gain sound between the deuce and the rectifier is comparable, but the rectifier has more punch in my book even though the sound is more scooped. So the Deuce went back to GC. Luckily I did not trade in my DSL as I had orginially intended because they would only give me a few hundred for it. Chalk one up for the GC 30 day satisfaction policy.

I am glad you like yours. I think the Deuce has a specific sound, so this is not meant as a mesa bash .I love the solo rectifier I have, but I don't know if the hot rodded marhshall reputation of the Deuce is accurate.

It probably is accurate to say if you want the full Mesa sound, you also need Mesa cabinets

KH Guitar Freak said:
Congrabs...

Thanks!

Riff Blister said:
Great story and great pics! :)

Thanks! It's much better than another impulse buy lol.

58boogie said:
While I am a single rectifier fan and owner, I also have a JCM2000 DSL. I purchased a Deuce for it's "hot rodded marshall" reputation. When I tried them side by side in the store at lower volume, I thought the Deuce killed the Marshall.

Then I played them live (loud hard rock), switching between heads after 10 songs. As much as I wanted to like the deuce, everyone in the band and those in the know who were listening out in audience, preferred the Marshall. Granted I was using a 1960 cabinet for each which may have toned down the deuce or changed its voice, but the Marshall won out. The deuce did not push as much air through the 1960 cabinet at higher volumes and the mid range sound of the Marshall cut through the mix better. I think the high gain sound between the deuce and the rectifier is comparable, but the rectifier has more punch in my book even though the sound is more scooped. So the Deuce went back to GC. Luckily I did not trade in my DSL as I had orginially intended because they would only give me a few hundred for it. Chalk one up for the GC 30 day satisfaction policy.

I am glad you like yours. I think the Deuce has a specific sound, so this is not meant as a mesa bash .I love the solo rectifier I have, but I don't know if the hot rodded marhshall reputation of the Deuce is accurate.

It probably is accurate to say if you want the full Mesa sound, you also need Mesa cabinets

What cab do you use with your Single Recto? I paired my Triple with a Marshall 1960 and 1936 cab and wasn't happy at all. V30s are a much better match for most Mesa amps. I don't think it's necessary to have all Mesa gear. I'm perfectly happy with the JSX cab. The only Mesa cab I'd want would be a Stiletto 4x12 or a Recto 2x12. If I was to replace the JSX cab, chances are I'd go with a Mills Acoustic over anything.

I haven't had a chance to crank the Deuce yet. I'm hoping I'll have the opportunity this weekend or sometime next week. I almost picked up a JCM2000 TSL with 1960 cab over the Stiletto a few weeks before coming across the Stiletto. I've played the TSL and DSL numerous times and like both of them, but even for the crazy low price I could have gotten for the pair I knew I wouldn't hang onto the TSL for very long at all. Nice amp, just not what I wanted.

I'm looking forward to cranking the Deuce. That'll be the final test in determining if letting go of the SL-X was a good move.

I run the rectifier through two 1-12 mesa 3/4 back cabinets (mini stack) which are great for clubs. The 3/4 back cabinets are open with lots of bass and no "beaminess" of my 1960.

I think you will dig the Deuce. I just could not see having a Deuce and a Rectifier other than to have a back up, but since you have both, you can a/b them at stage volume and report back on the differences. I hate to admit it but I bought the Deuce because I thought it looked very bass ***, and so it had to sound like it looked.

I am using a les paul and play with a fair amount of gain, so if you play clean, or are using single coils or higher output pickups, it may open up differently. I think the DSL (which has a gain channel similar to the SL-X), is a good plug in and take off kind of amp. You should be able to do a side by side with your dual rectifier to see if you notice a big difference. Marshall has a very distinct EL34 sound (as does Vox). The SL-X was a one trick pony, but it did that one trick really well. Just like I am a fan of having a number of different guitars, I think that it is a good idea to have a couple of different amps for tonal inspiration.

It is fun to a/b amps in high volume situations. Not that you can hear the difference from 3 feet, but if you can get a ways back, it will show you how an amp, or guitar really sounds to the audience.

All part of the quest for the tonal holy grail...so rock on.

I've heard a lot of good things about those 3/4 back 1x12 Mesa cabs. It's hard to come across one though.

I still haven't had as much time as I'd like with the Deuce due to putting in some extra hours at work, this coming week should give way for more free time. Even with the little amount of time I've played with it, I'm really liking the results. A/B it against the Recto is going to be fun.

All of my RG's have hotter pickups, so I'm sure that'll yield slightly different results than using a LP. The sound I'm after from the Deuce isn't very gainy or heavy, it's a bit more modern and aggressive than what I've been able to get out of Marshall amps. The SL-X got close to what I was after, but just didn't have the oomph of a Mesa power section.

If I couldn't find that SL-X I probably would have gone after a DSL50 head. The SL-X was great though. It's hard to beat a finely tuned, crank Marshall. I'm really looking forward to how the Deuce manages at higher volume levels.

Back