Adjustable-Bias-Kit in Stiletto GREAT SOUND!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Reeder

Reaction score
Hey! A guy named Splatter installed an adjustable bias-kit in his Lonestar. I tried it too and liked it....so I bought a kit for my Stiletto and installed it. Guys you NEED this for your Stiletto! Go to the ALonestar section and find the subject. I posted some of my Stiletto results on there too. Read it!

Charles

Hi Charles, that's interesting. I've read the thread,.. I'll keep folowing this thread.
Maybe there are more Stiletto users who did the bias mod ?

I would like to try this bias mod to improve the sound quality of the amp. Bit first I'll like to know if there are more stiletto users who did this to their amp. There's another amp guru on the boogie board (Isaac) who also did some mods to his Stiletto ace. A few of those mod I also dit to my ACE, and these also were an inprovement to tame the brightness of the amp. Still I think there's more to improve..

Was the bias mod an improvement of killing the harsh bright tones at higher volumes of the amp ?
What are the differences (before / after?)

Thanks!

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the information. I've read many of your Lonestar posts so I know how good you are at generating excitement for tone chasers. :D
I'm very interested in this kit so I hope you will keep us Stiletto owners current with your findings. I'm sort of gutless when it comes to tech work on my amp as I am limited in the knowledge and skills. If I feel like I don't want to do it myself I have a friend who makes a living working on amps who can help me.

This is some cool stuff though. 8)

Mark

I have ordered a kit from Mansfields. It will take a while to get here since their international shipping quote was outrageous. So I have had to have it shipped to my brother in Florida so he can forward it to me in the UK. I will post something when I get it installed.

RE: the TOO-BRIGHT or harsh tone of the Stiletto's.

I don't have an Ace...but the bias-mod kit certainly tamed the over-brightness in my Deuce. Also of note: Speakers which before the bias-mod sounded harsh and flat; now bloom. I don't know another word besides 'bloom' to describe it...but the sound is now how I always expected and thought it should be.

I can use Vintage 30's, C-90's, G12T-75's, etc. alone or in any combination and they ALL SOUND GOOD now!

Charles

I really hope this works out for me. I was about to swap for a Lone Star head, but turned it down when reading about this just in the nick if time. What I really don't understand is why Mesa themselves haven't sussed this out and offered the Stiletto with some kind of hotter running valve option. Since buying mine, I have read so many dissatisfied reviews about this amp, and they all tie up with my own experience. I do understand the company policy of maintenance free operation, but on the other hand, all the people who have owned and hated a rubbish sounding Stiletto have potentially been alienated against the companies products.

PM mikey383. Hes pretty savy with amps and im pretty sure he has done this mod to his stiletto

I placed my order this morning. I'm looking forward to hearing the results.
Whether I install it myself or pay my friend to put it in, it still seams like pretty inexpensive upgrade.
Right now I believe my amp is still protected under the warranty so I may just wait until that time is up before I do the mod.
That, and I would like to educate myself more on the subject of biasing first. Does anybody have any good sources on the subject?
The "Amp Biasing for Dummies" book? :roll: :lol:
Time will tell how my patience holds up. :lol:

Mark

Trev57 said:
I have ordered a kit from Mansfields. It will take a while to get here since their international shipping quote was outrageous. So I have had to have it shipped to my brother in Florida so he can forward it to me in the UK. I will post something when I get it installed.

Greetings from Scotland all

Trev57 - are you planning to install this upgrade yourself, or is there a Mesa amp tech in the UK who would do this for you? I am very interested in hearing how you get on, and what the tone differences are before / after

I haven't received it yet. In fact, it has not arrived at the Florida address yet. Mansfields were pretty slow at shipping the unit.

I will install it myself. I don't know anybody else I would trust with it.

I just bought a Mark V. So my Stiletto is for sale in the UK. I will include the bias pot mod with the amp for interested parties.

Trev,

I'm sorry you did not recieve your bias kit yet but I did ship within the specified time in the auction. Please understand These kits are all made to order which is why it takes a few days to make them up and get them out and we are closed on weekends. I also understand you were a little upset with the shipping quote to the UK but I charge $1.00 over USPS rates to cover the cost of lables and extra customs forms. I agree the rates are high but that is what it costs me. Anyone that has ordered from me overseas can see the rate I pay is always printed directly on the shipping label and customs forms. Please understand I'm not making any profit off shipping expenses.

I really do appreciate everyones business and work hard to make sure every customer is satisfied.

THanks
John

My kit showed up on Friday 7.30.10. I looked to see what I had left as far as warranty on my Stiletto and I still have a full year left. I considered waiting to work on the amp until the warranty was up but I can see now that that's not going to happen. :lol: I'm not too worried.
I'll be contacting my friend who is a tech and he can get me set up. He'll do a better job than I can do.

Mark

Hey 'Riff Blister':
It'll be the 'best year you ever lost' when you get that bias-kit installed and set properly.
I've experimented a bit and I keep coming back to a setting between 36-39mv. (currently at 39mv). That seems to come closest to the sound (and feel) I got from my old classic 'Marshalls'. That is at the pount where the painful harshness of a cold-biased Stiletto starts to fade and the rich bloom of harminic distortion in the midrange and highs starts to set in..Not too hot-not too cold goldilocks.
Regards: Charles

Very good news Charles. I'm anxious to hear the difference for myself. I'm 53 and grew up with those great Marshall tones as well as the classic Fenders tones. If I can get close to that classic Marshall like tone I'd be over the top happy. I must say in all honesty that after some tube and speaker changes I've been quite happy with my Stiletto as of late. When news of the adj. bias mod came along I figured why stop now. :)

Mark

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done this mod to a Stage 1 Stiletto AND how do they like it.

(Side note) I just added up the prices for all the tubes (Mesa branded) for my Trident....6 EL34, 5 12AX7 and 3 5U4GB's with tax will run around 310 bones.....OUCH! :mrgreen: The reason I mention this is because running hotter = shorter tube life, not a big deal if it improves your tone to your taste.

TTSTWO said:
I just added up the prices for all the tubes (Mesa branded) for my Trident....6 EL34, 5 12AX7 and 3 5U4GB's with tax will run around 310 bones.....OUCH! :mrgreen: The reason I mention this is because running hotter = shorter tube life, not a big deal if it improves your tone to your taste.

Yeah, I agree. Since we Stiletto guys pull in the big cash at our high paying gigs, money is really not an issue anyway. Right? :roll:.
Actually, I have not played out since last September. That pesky prostate cancer thing I had to deal with put my band on hold.

Back on topic though.....
I just put in a new quad on EL34s a couple of weeks ago. I'm wondering now (limited knowledge in this area) if they will have to be replaced after my amp is re-biased in the 36-39mv areas that Charles has been working with?

The tubes will NOT need to be replaced...just have the bias adjusted. The advantage of having an adjustable bias circuit....(which is what this kit gives you)...is that you can adjust ANY set of tubes to the desired bias level.

More than likely the tubes you just put in are presently running somewhat cold. So, take a reading and adjust the tiny set screw on the bias kit accordingly; until you get within the bias range you were aiming for.

As for tube life...39mv is not terribly hot....36mv less so. But, you will lose some tube-life...but it is worth it tonewise. With adjustable bias; you are no longer a 'slave' to the necessity to buy Mesa branded color-coded tubes....so re-tubing expense goes down.

None of the Mesa tubes I tried would get my bias any higher than 28mv. Granted; I could have missed a color that would have gotten me there; but I doubt it. The 36-39mv range seems to be the critical area 'tonewise'. This is where the harshness and cold piercing treble starts to get under control; and upper harmonics start sweeping in. No contest for me. My Stage-1 Stiletto Deuce now sounds like it should (to me at least)

Charles

Back