The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:39 pm 
Mark I

Does anybody know where I can get this mod from? It seems that Mansfield is no longer around.

Thanks.

John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 pm 
Donating Member

Any tech should be able to perform this service for you. The Mesa tech in Austin will even go so far as to install bias test points if you wish. The Stiletto is one of the easiest in which to install adjustable bias because it's A/B as opposed to simul-class!

Audio Monk custom tube power amp
1X12 Thiele w/ Celestion G12H30
YOUTUBE mesafanintexas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:58 pm 
Mark I

talltxguy wrote:
Any tech should be able to perform this service for you. The Mesa tech in Austin will even go so far as to install bias test points if you wish. The Stiletto is one of the easiest in which to install adjustable bias because it's A/B as opposed to simul-class!

I guess what I was trying to ask is, where can I now purchase this mod kit since Mansfield is no longer around?

I found this one.

http://grangeramp.com/shop/index.php?ma ... cts_id=438

Is it the same thing? If so, What resistor, trim pot, is right for the stiletto deuce?

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:02 am 
Single Recto

You're trying to get tech advice, so just talk to a tech. You're not going to find the answers you're looking for on a forum, and even if someone does answer you, how do you verify their credibility? I know I'd rather have a credible source before I start modding an expensive, high-voltage tube amp.

Better safe than sorry.

Past/Present Boogies
Express 5:50+ 1x12"
Stiletto Ace 1x12"
Electra Dyne Head
Lone Star Special 1x12"
Stiletto Ace Head
Express 5:25 1x10"
Mark IVb Widebody 1x12"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:22 pm 
Mark II

John Price wrote:
talltxguy wrote:

I guess what I was trying to ask is, where can I now purchase this mod kit since Mansfield is no longer around?

I found this one.

http://grangeramp.com/shop/index.php?ma ... cts_id=438

Is it the same thing? If so, What resistor, trim pot, is right for the stiletto deuce?

Thanks,
John

REVIVAL!! lol
You CAN and should find that info in a forum (thats what forums are for) and the info is YES that kit will work and just ask the Granger people in an email which resistor and trimpot you need for your amp and they will hook you right up!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:21 am 
Bottle Rocket

John Price wrote:
Does anybody know where I can get this mod from? It seems that Mansfield is no longer around.

Thanks.

John

Hi John, Mansfield can be contacted through his Facebook page, here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mansfiel ... 3783515762
Hope this helps mate, I just ordered the bias kit for my Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage 2 Head
Bob

Last edited by shwing5150 on Sat May 03, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:25 am 
Bottle Rocket

Anybody looking for the Mansfield Guitars LLC Bias kit mod for a Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage 2 Head should contact John through his Facebook page, I recently did and my kit is on it's way, John is a great guy and easy to work with
Link:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:42 am 
Bottle Rocket

Riff Blister wrote:
OK, I'm two weeks into my Stiletto with the Mansfield Adjustable Bias mod. It's been great!!!
I haven't gigged with the amp but my home practice space is large and I live in a spacious neighborhood. I can at least crank up to match a good drummer's volume without having a squad car pull up my driveway.
The very first thing I noticed was the added girth in the midrange. Great on Channel 1 Crunch. Even more so on Channel 2 Tight Gain. I love that!!!
Secondly, and probably the most important to a lot of people, the harsh high end is gone!!!
Sh*# Yeah!!!!!!!
No matter how I tried (within reasonable settings) I can't dial it back in. Bringing up the Presence and Treble adds brightness of course but not the spiky bad stuff. Don't misunderstand though, it's still a Stiletto and it's inherent design to "cut" is still there.
It still sounds like a Stiletto.
An interesting side point is that I now am liking some of the different setting that I never liked so much before. I've always preferred running Bold and Silicon Diodes. Now I am finding that Spongy and tube rectifiers are sounding damn good too. It could be just me but that's what I'm liking.
Thank you John Mansfield for building this little device.
Thank you guy named Splatter and Charles Reeder for bring this information to us on the Boogie Board.
Thanks also to amp tech Casey Gooby for the professional installation.
Ah, what the hell. Thanks Mom and Dad for all you've done too.

Thank you BB readers for putting up with this long wind bag post. :wink:
Mark

Thanks for sharing the pic of the installed bias mod, thanks to you that is exactly where I will have mine installed :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 am 
Bottle Rocket

John Price wrote:

Thanks.

John

Hi John, Mansfield can be contacted through his Facebook page, here is the link:
Hope this helps mate, I just ordered the bias kit for my Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage 2 Head
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:19 am 
Single Recto

I am going to try out the Orange DIVO OV4, seems a lot easier to install, 2 ground wires and 4 tube sockets that sit on top of your tube sockets (like bias probe). This thing offers many options and leaves not trace to void your warranty, at $449 seems like it will save a lot of time and save your amp in case of a tube failure.

https://www.orangeamps.com/products/acc ... /#tab-id-1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:54 pm 
Mark III

It's there a picture somewhere I can look at, to see where the bias resistor is located?
It's it the same on the Lonestar and/or can I used that reference to perform this mod?