Here's for all the Stiletto Ace Combo Users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berumen77

Reaction score
Hi my name's Isaac, I had been looking for tips and maybe a cure for the brightness in the Ace.
I knew it had the sound I was looking for, I was just unable to find a way dial out the high icepick tone.
I finally found it. Basically Channel 2 is based on a JCM 800.... compare the schematics for the 2. The similarities are amazing!!!
So I just followed some of the mods used for JCMs and tweaked to my taste. Here's what I changed...

1. On the Input Jack I wired a 220k resistor from Input wire to ground. This helps tame the treble the amp is seeing from the guitar and will beef up the tone.

2. Next I wired a 270p cap to the outer lugs of of the Treble Pot. 330p is recommended for the JCM. This cuts the ratty highs. You can now go past 9 o'clock on the treble knob woooooooooeeeee!!!

3. Next I changed R38 from the 39K value to 56K. This is the "slope" resistor and sets the eq slope thickens the mids. I was able to get creamy mids with this value. Don't go overboard. 47k might be good enough for rhythm players.

4. Finally the biggest improvement came from changing R44 from 10M to 4.7M. No more piercing highs. The Presence knob is now usable past 9 o'clock. I think any value between 4.7M and 10M will work. It's just trial and error finding a happy medium. All I know is that the stock 10M had the piercing tone that could only be dialed out by turning the Presence down and diverting the highs to ground.

5. I removed C6 (180) and C7 (750) caps and replaced with 150p and 270p cap. These are a 'bright' cap system. the higher the value the more treble is heard at lower volume settings. I did this last after I was sure I liked how the amp sounded at gig volume.

My amp sounds great. I'm just so happy with the sound that I don't find myself tweaking knobs anymore. I'm actually playing
guitar. Very easy mods, I'm surprised no one else has posted any mods. I had heard of the hollywood mod, but this amp doesn't need more gain. It needs a treble and presence mod.

Try these mods, but if you just want to cure the icepick tone try #4 and you'll get a usable presence control.

Austin Virtuoso Guitars
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-TX/Austin-Virtuoso-Guitars/300096756696

I haven't looked up the Trident's schematic so I can't tell you for sure.

Problem with the Ace is that this one is in combo form with a 1x12. It definitely sounds fuller through a 4x12. But I gig a lot and a 4x12 is out of the question on smaller stages here in Austin.

What these mods do is keep the gain and character of the amp but tone it down a bit so it's smoother throughout as a whole.
I saw the Hollywood Mod...but the amp does not need more gain.

I ended up installing a 3 way toggle to switch between 33K 47K and 56K on the Slope Resistor. The amp has a 39K standard. This simple mods changes the EQ of the Mids so you can get fullness for thinner sounding guitars at 56k and have some cut for mahogany guitars at 33k.

Very inexpensive mods, but you will void the warranty.
BE CAREFULL!!!

Austin Virtuoso Guitars

Thanks for some very sensible tips. I haven't done any yet (and may not want all the changes) but I think many users with complaints should consider your listed mods.
Charles

I am using an ACE 2x12. I can't honestly say I had the "ice pick" midhighs. I keep hearing that on the board. Maybe this amp isn't for people that don't want a bright tone. Get a recto. The only mod that I did to my stiletto was getting rid of those awful sounding V30s. That's your problem. Why mesa put v30s in an already bright amp is beyond me. Try 65s, EVs or what I have now..90s. I just took my EVs out (too heavy) and put the c90s in there and it smokes. I have also used this amp with a cab of 65s. The only speaker in MY opinion that was not compatable with this amp were the v30s. Didn't mean to piss anyone off. Just felt I needed a voice here before some goes and changes something that they didn't need to. :)
BTW the stiletto is my main amp, my "go to" amp. Cheers.

Stonge said:
The only mod that I did to my stiletto was getting rid of those awful sounding V30s. That's your problem. Why mesa put v30s in an already bright amp is beyond me.
I would not go as far as to call the v30s awful sounding but I've always thought that there must be a better match for the Stiletto.
At least for the kind of stuff I play. More classic rock music.

I've got a pair of Scumback M75s from Southbay Ampworks arriving this week. They are made to sound like vintage Greenback speakers.
I'm quite anxious to see what they do for me.

Stonge said:
I am using an ACE 2x12. I can't honestly say I had the "ice pick" midhighs. I keep hearing that on the board. Maybe this amp isn't for people that don't want a bright tone. Get a recto. The only mod that I did to my stiletto was getting rid of those awful sounding V30s. That's your problem. Why mesa put v30s in an already bright amp is beyond me. Try 65s, EVs or what I have now..90s. I just took my EVs out (too heavy) and put the c90s in there and it smokes. I have also used this amp with a cab of 65s. The only speaker in MY opinion that was not compatable with this amp were the v30s. Didn't mean to piss anyone off. Just felt I needed a voice here before some goes and changes something that they didn't need to. :)
BTW the stiletto is my main amp, my "go to" amp. Cheers.

I hear ya..I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the money finding a speaker that "might" work with the amp. I do a lot of mods on pedals and guitars so I have a lot of spare resistors and caps in my shop. It's way cheaper to swap a couple of $ 0.20 components than order a new speaker that might not be right. That is, if you know what you're doing and aren't gonna screw the amp up:) It also depends on what sound you're doing for. Do you want smoother tone, more aggressive, more gain and what style you play rock, metal, blues, fusion. I liked the response and tone of the amp, it was just something in the treble frequencies I could never dial out. I am very happy with the amp now...it would have been very easy to return it but I feel like I got to know it better and have a better connection with it. It works better with different guitars and each of the modes sound great. I guess the rolled off frequencies make it sound more "vintage" marshall, sweet but still aggressive.

Isaac
Austin Virtuoso Guitars

Any chance you made "before and after" sound bytes of these changes?....I looked at your facebook site....did not
see, but I may not be looking closely enough.

I am motivated to try these, but would like to hear it first....and I know....recordings likely won't do it justice, but.... :?

Thanks! :D

Here's a vid I made. Sorry for the poor quality, need a new camera hahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXxABhKqr78

Isaac

Very cool. I wanted to see if, basically, you were getting the same results I was....and you are!
It is quite subtle but noticeable. I like the 56k. I also like the low end of the 33k (verified by my ears and the Duncan tone stack calculator), but the 56k has more 'punch' IMO.
I will try the 47k next...may be the best compromise. Did not have that value to try until now.

BTW, I found a 100pf across the treble pot to be the best for my guitars. The 270pf made it sound a bit "muffled" and I did not care for it....100pf killed the "brittleness" just enough, again, IMO.

I did not mess with the presence circuit....I don't care where I have to set that control as I have no issue with the range.

Thanks for the video!
Take care! :D

Latest posts

Back