Stiletto users; should I be one?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejay

Reaction score
I currently have a Roadster and while it's the best amp I have ever played I have recently been really into the Lonestar series as well as the Stiletto and seriously consider picking one up. What are your opinions on the amp and which version are you using? I'd prefer to get a head if I could vs a combo. Your thoughts?

You should get one. And run your Roadster and Stiletto heads in stereo, preferably thru the Mesa Stiletto 4X12 cabs... :mrgreen:

i switched from a Dual Rec to Stiletto Ace. The biggest difference was moving from that somewhat fizzy, inarticulate Dual Rec tone to a clean, precise type of tone. I've used the analogy that where a Dual Rec bludgeons you over the head with a blunt instrument, Stiletto cuts through like a knife. Cleans on Stiletto much much better, and distortion, although a bit thin, is more more classic rock like.

Or, you could run a dual rec, lonestar, and stiletto in tri-series super stereo (I'm making that up) with 3-4x12 Rec cabs and buy a truck and buy a guy to haul your stuff around for you. Great tone, no money leftover, but what they hey! :lol:

FWIW- i went from a Roadster to a Deuce II head. Very Happy. For me, I play more lead guitar than rhythm, and the stiletto is really on the mark for that- I love the Roadster cleans more- but the Stiletto cleans are still VERY good. I *do* miss the reverb though...
Truth be told- A Stiletto can not do what a Recto does, A Recto can not do what a Mark does, and a Mark cann not do what a Stiletto does.
In the end, when you find your musical voice (with your ears)- you will undoubtedly gravitate toward that instrument.
I spent a couple months trying to get the Roadster to sound like the Stiletto. "It cant."
The great thing is, even after playing a Mark V- I am not gassing for one- I really like my Stiletto (at least at this point in my life...).
Play a Stiletto. Then go play your rig. If you are haunted by one or the others tone- make it happen.
Really, you cant go wrong with either amp...

The stilettos have more gain than they get credit for. Though not as much as a recto. But the stilettos work awesomely with a boost in front. I get some killer "Killswitch" tones out of mine. The stilettos have a clarity that the rectos dont. And they are more harmonically rich - if that makes sense.

I was a hard core recto guy for 11 years until I came across a used stiletto. I traded my recto for it. Had a rough few weeks with it (had major regrets). But then I figured out how to dial it in and added a boost. Now I am happier than ever and all tho i miss my recto, I have no regrets.

As far as what stiletto to get...Stage one is more vintage sounding (think high gain plexi with lowend). Stage two is more modern sounding (think Splawnish/800 type).
If you have the room to open the amp up, the tridents sound the best - but they have to be loud

I also traded my Dual Rec for a Deuce and, like many others, miss the DR once in a while, but I love the Stiletto. When I first got it I used the fluid drive mostly for high gain sounds as, IMHO, sounds more 'recto-ish' than the other modes. Then I moved to the tite gain setting for a bit. A little lest of a pushed sound. Last night I gigged on the crunch setting and kept it there for the whole night. I was in tone heaven. Very plexi like. And, as droptrd said, when boosted up front, this amp responds well. I couldn't be happier.

I'd also add that the Stiletto sounds its best when in a band mix in a good sized room. I'm not thrilled with it on its own, but once its screaming with the boys, it sounds amazing. If you ever have a chance to test drive one in a band setting instead of some floor/demo model in a store, you will really enjoy it.

I'd also add that the Stiletto sounds its best when in a band mix in a good sized room. I'm not thrilled with it on its own, but once its screaming with the boys, it sounds amazing. If you ever have a chance to test drive one in a band setting instead of some floor/demo model in a store, you will really enjoy it

+1....
I listened to some tracks recorded at rehearsal, and while the tracks were horrible- the Deuce sounded really, really good- you cant hear *that* sound on stage if front of the amp, but if the room sounds like that- "Im in"....

Hence why it's frustrating that many ***** about how they are too bright and stuff, then proceed to buy a Splawn or whatnot. Granted, Splawns are definitely not ****, but still. Put a Stiletto in a band mix, and you'll cut thru almost anything, no matter what. After all, them classic Marshalls are definitely bright as, but hey, isn't that the "Marshall tone" that some people want anyway??? :)

Hence why it's frustrating that many ***** about how they are too bright and stuff, then proceed to buy a Splawn or whatnot. Granted, Splawns are definitely not sh!t, but still. Put a Stiletto in a band mix, and you'll cut thru almost anything, no matter what. After all, them classic Marshalls are definitely bright as, but hey, isn't that the "Marshall tone" that some people want anyway???

Stilettos have a lot of needles- but it is the distorting of those "needles" that deliver *that* sound. If you cant handle the treble- "turn it down or off"......

Laskyman said:
Hence why it's frustrating that many ***** about how they are too bright and stuff, then proceed to buy a Splawn or whatnot. Granted, Splawns are definitely not sh!t, but still. Put a Stiletto in a band mix, and you'll cut thru almost anything, no matter what. After all, them classic Marshalls are definitely bright as, but hey, isn't that the "Marshall tone" that some people want anyway???

Stilettos have a lot of needles- but it is the distorting of those "needles" that deliver *that* sound. If you cant handle the treble- "turn it down or off"......

The way I see it, if you want to turn down the treble and presence heaps, you might as well not get a Stiletto then... :?

I'm looking for something that can give me a super clean and another great distortion to use. Is a Stiletto right or a Lonestar?

thejay said:
I'm looking for something that can give me a super clean and another great distortion to use. Is a Stiletto right or a Lonestar?

Both have great cleans. The Stiletto is no slouch at cleans either, even though it cops more of that British type tone. Lone Star is essentially the cleans on your Roadster, and then some more. Gain wise, Lone Star would get pretty much towards hard rock territory, whereas the Stiletto will get some grinding metal for ya...

I am happy with my overall tones with my Roadster... maybe I'm just getting really picky... or GASin' :lol: Probably GAS, we all go through that from time to time... There isn't a close Mesa dealer for me anymore to give either amp a whirl because that would probably hold me.

thejay said:
I am happy with my overall tones with my Roadster... maybe I'm just getting really picky... or GASin' :lol: Probably GAS, we all go through that from time to time... There isn't a close Mesa dealer for me anymore to give either amp a whirl because that would probably hold me.

I've played a Stiletto Deuce II head, and I'm GASing for one. The only thing keeping me sane is my Roadster... :mrgreen:

I've played a Stiletto Deuce II head, and I'm GASing for one

I have been there.....then I caved in. Really dont miss the Roadster too much...great amp, but, after playing with the Deuce (like, several times a week...each week.....for a couple months....), I knew what needed to be done.
So, I sold the Roadster, then threw down on the Stiletto. I *know* there are other current Stiletto users on the board who did the exact same thing.

Laskyman said:
I've played a Stiletto Deuce II head, and I'm GASing for one

I have been there.....then I caved in. Really dont miss the Roadster too much...great amp, but, after playing with the Deuce (like, several times a week...each week.....for a couple months....), I knew what needed to be done.
So, I sold the Roadster, then threw down on the Stiletto. I *know* there are other current Stiletto users on the board who did the exact same thing.

Well, they are almost polar opposites of one another, and they sound great in stereo... :mrgreen:

[b
jab said:
Or, you could run a dual rec, lonestar, and stiletto in tri-series super stereo (I'm making that up) with 3-4x12 Rec cabs and buy a truck and buy a guy to haul your stuff around for you. Great tone, no money leftover, but what the hey! :lol:

Thats funny! I thought that was what our roadies were for, to move my stuff. Have to admit though, Three boogies sounds KILLER live!!!

MyRig2.jpg

Bmarchant

Or, you could run a dual rec, lonestar, and stiletto in tri-series super stereo (I'm making that up) with 3-4x12 Rec cabs and buy a truck and buy a guy to haul your stuff around for you. Great tone, no money leftover, but what they hey!

Who needs money? I'd never leave the house anyway if I had that rig.......

The Stilettos are bright compared to the rectos - which are the opposite of brite. But when compared to amps that are "actually" know for being bright like soldanos and diamonds and some old marshalls, the stilettos dont qualify for the "bright" title.

I can't seem to get the Stiletto bug out... I either need to get to a shop with one or just get one! :D
Not sure what the huge differences are between them all though other than wattage settings... Trident I don't think I'd ever use 150 watts... probably use 50 watts like I use my Roadster. Any further thoughts?

Back