best way to get plexi tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jab

Reaction score
have you found settings that gives you a decent plexi / old vintage Marshall tone out of the Stiletto? I sure like some of those old Marshall crunch tones but the volume it takes to get there on a Marshall is deafening.

You may want to check out the the crunch channel on your amp or a Emma pedal. The crunch channel is similar to a JCM 800. That was what Marshall came up with to get at lower volumes. It is similar but not the vintage Marshall sound. That onlycomes from power amp distortion.

I find a clean boost pedal kinda helps make the crunch channel really shine to. Check out one of these MXR MC-401. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5qjFARZuU

I know this doesn't help because you have an ACE, but I want to mention that Channel 1 "Crunch" on my old Stiletto Deuce Series I was very Plexi-ish. On my Stiletto Deuce Series II (same as the ACE), I think my "Crunch" channels are more akin to a JCM 800.

The wiring/etc on series I tite clean is very close to the Plexi era Marshall and crunch is close to a 800. Very very close. Series II is not a lot different......

No but I have been in a lot of amps. You can open it up and compare it.....You can tell by the amount of gain that is there without opening the amps. Tite Gain and crunch cover a lot of the ground of the classic English amps (Marshall, Hiwatt, Orange, etc). All these amps are close in design and it has more to do with the amount of gain stages. Each have there own voice given by the variations......

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/guitar-amp-evolution.html

That is an interesting link. What would you compare Fat Clean to?

Kind of it's own monster as is the other channels near as I can tell.
The high gain ones are like the mod Marshall talked about in the link. But they sound good. Most of the mods I have seen did not sound good to me. Cameron and Soldano mods sound great to my ears.

Back