The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26 am 
Mark III

for hitman:
I have not tried 65s yet, although I used to play marshall through a jcm800(65s) 4x12 for years. However, I did get a chance to try a greenback 4x12 w/ it..to me it was a nice lead tone for sure, but i wasn't getting the rhythm tones that I wanted..a little too much preamp gain sounding. But then again I am kind of sick of that celestion voicing sound. I am really attached the the EVs these days. I like speakers that wont break up lol. The EV speaker is a very balanced speaker..Honestly I dont know why mesa stopped using them. They show the true color to almost any amp. I am currently using a forklift since I blew my back out with this baby to move her around hahaha. but seriously - XCases have some bad ass casters that will roll over anything and anybody.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:51 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks for the insight. I have a Marshall 1960TV loaded with greenbacks that I play with a JCM2000 DSL50 and I love them. They are really balanced and breakup nicely. I know you said you don't like breakup, but to each their own. I think they sound great for either lead or rhythm, but I think that you could get the lead tone you are looking for with an eq pedal. As for the 12-65s, could you please describe the tone. I have never heard these speakers and I am only going on internet research. I know you haven't tried them with a Stiletto, but just your impression overall and what you think they might sound like in a Stiletto Ace combo.

Thanks in advance!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:10 pm 
Mark III

65s were and still are probably some of my favorite speakers. The only problem that I found w/ them is that they do not cut as much as say a C90 does. I would say that those are both kinda similar speakers in my opinion. Another thing is it seems that everyone says that 65s are not too good for clean..this I can sort of agree with. The speakers are definately very wooly, I mainly liked them because they kill the ice-picky frequencies commonly produced by a crank marshall. When I discovered mesa, it was all over from there..it's pretty much mesa everything now. I however would like to hear a stiletto through them some day. There is this guy down hall from us at our practice space who just inherited an original 65 (england) 4x12. We told him what he had so he might bring it by one of these days I am sure lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:28 pm 
Mark III

Different tubes worked the best for mine. Tungsol's in V1 and V2. Also TS EL 34B's in the power slots. The 34B's made the most difference.

Tried a Private Jack from one of my other amps and it sounded pretty interesting for the 10 minutes that I tried it. :mrgreen: