Can the Stiletto ACE do Metal???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarchris76

Reaction score
I am getting a Stiletto Ace and want to know if it can do metal. I got rid of an Express because I thought the higher gain sounds (especially lead) were crap.

I would like to clarify. Rather then use the word metal I would like to use high gain instead. I would be thinking along the lines of Zakk Wydle/Ozzy, Dream Theater, Metallica and the like. Thanks

Yes, it can do metal for sure. I gigged with one a few different times with my metal band, it can handle it with ease.

I'm doing a lot of metal with my Deuce. Right now we're working on a couple of Metallica tunes (Creeping Death and One). This amp is handling those tunes with ease and I even have the gain down a bit. If you need a heavier, darker sound, maybe grunge, just toss a good EQ into the loop, scoop it, and you're set.

I thought my Ace really struggled with the high gain 'Metal' tones. I was pretty happy with the Stiletto unless I was trying to do some heavy stuff and then it fell short. The clean to mid gain to hard rock tones were excellent.

MusicManJP6 said:
I thought my Ace really struggled with the high gain 'Metal' tones. I was pretty happy with the Stiletto unless I was trying to do some heavy stuff and then it fell short. The clean to mid gain to hard rock tones were excellent.
+1. If you want to stay with Mesa, a Mark series or rectifier is the way to go for metal. The Stiletto CAN do metal, but not nearly as well. Like MusicMan said, it is best for classic to heavy rock, honestly.

As I said earlier, just throw an EQ in the loop, and the Stiletto handles metal with no problem. My advice is to hit a dealer and test it out with some of the tunes you're looking to play, that's how I made my final decision.

It all depends on what metal tones you're looking for it to do. If by metal you mean Recto-ish modern nu-metal stuff, it's probably not the right amp for you. But when you're talking about Zakk Wylde era Ozzy stuff, or older Metallica ala KEA or RTL, it will handle it with ease.

I have a Ace and feel it has more than enough gain....in fact I rarely use Fluid drive 'cuz Tite gain has always been plenty. 8)

The one observation that seems to be common about the Stilettos is that they lack bottom compared to the Rectos....but they were designed that way. Also the stock Mesa STR447's el34 that most of these amps come with are very bass-shy IMO. :(

I now use GT el34M's and am happy with the increase in lows (and clarity) they provide. Also, as many have done, an eq in the loop can boost the lows considerably.
I also believe the Stilettos are more versatile overall than the Recto's, at least doing better at covering the more "classic" rock tones, IMHO. Also I like their clean tones better.

Good luck :D

Megadeth ,Metallica,Zakk,GnR,Testament,Slayer..ect ect...Thats what i play with my deuce and I never have the gain over 2 o'clock ! I do have a few pedals though.

I think the Stiletto can do metal but the question asked is: can the Ace.

I know from experience that 1x12s won't get a very good metal tone. They may take you there, but it's not what they're meant for and not where they'll sound best. I owned a Diezel Einstein combo - which plugged into a 4x12 was incredible - but when going out of the cab, when it came to a metal tone, the Diezel really let me down. I ended up selling it for that reason, and have since gone to a 2x12 Avatar with a Bogner XTC.

So, to answer your question, you need to get the right Ace. The head version into a 4x12 will be optimal, though a Deuce will be better because the bigger power section will handle lows better. The 2x12 Ace will probably work alright - though it's probably heavy as ****! I'd say though that the 1x12 is out. It'll just sound too small & boxy.

Someone else mentioned the Rectifier and Mark series, and for metal, if you want to stick with Mesa, that's where you should look. I know from experience that Rectifiers, when set up the right way, sound fantastic at low volumes. I'm sure the same can be said for the Mark series.

TheMagicEight said:
I think the Stiletto can do metal but the question asked is: can the Ace.

So, to answer your question, you need to get the right Ace. The head version into a 4x12 will be optimal, though a Deuce will be better because the bigger power section will handle lows better. The 2x12 Ace will probably work alright - though it's probably heavy as ****! I'd say though that the 1x12 is out. It'll just sound too small & boxy.

I have an Ace 1x12 and feel that with the KT-77's I just installed + the EQ in the loop, I can get a really fat tone from it. Sure, you won't have "wall of sound" with it since there is only 1 speaker, but its still a very good sound and when you play live and mic it, you can't tell the difference.

I appreciate everybody's opinions. That is why I love this site. You always get honest informed answer's. I am still going with the ACE. Right now I am onlu playing at home, and it will be that way for the forseable future. I have been playing for 22 years and have done the whole band and club thing and am done with it for now. I do not need a wall of sound just a good sounding amp for lead work. Most of what I do is sit in my music room and play to backing tracks I have either downloaded or created. My style is kind of shred with feeling. I grew up playing a lot of Testament, Overkill, Ozzy and the like. Now that I am more accomplished I play a lot of Vai and Satriani type stuff. My favorite guitarist at the moment is Andy Timmons. I really like his tone and I think he is a good mix between shredding (although very minor) and blues. I guess he would be the best example of my playing at this point. I really need a lead amp that I can sometimes play Metallica or Ozzy stuff with. I do not like pedals and go straight into the amp. During my amp search I have tried out a ton of different amps and Matt's Music was nice enought to let me take a Recto Verb home for a week. It sounded great but was crap for lead work. I have tried out Budda, Diezel, Soldano, Bad Cat and Dr. Z's to name a few but the amp I loved the most was a 1980's Marshall JCM 800. I love the tone and breakup you can get out of those things. I am not trying to get a particular players tone but the lead tone on the first track of Andy Timmons Resolution as well as the tone on Steve Stevens new album sounds great. That is what I am going for. I know Andy usues a Tube Driver and while I may get one at some point I want to see if I can get close to that tone without it.

Like other people have said try an EQ with the ACE.I have a stilleto deuce II and use a MXR 10 band Graphic EQ through the send and return loop.
Using it i can scoop out the sound,i also use a boss distortion pedel to give me the option to add more gain.
I get a sound that i'm very happy with,plenty of gain but with the more focused sound than the rectifiers.
You can have too much gain that can just mask your sound and it gets lost in the overall sound of a band.Less is more!!
When you listen to a lot of metals main guitarists they have a not too oversaturated sound.An overly bass heavy guitar sound just overrides the bass guitar sound and can make things sound messy.

Back