Vai lead/rhythm tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebmmjp7

Reaction score
Alright, so, while I am fairly new here (just a few days as a member) I have been lurking quite a while. I received a 2X12 roadster for christmas, and as I stated in the rectifier section, the time with the amp has been bittersweet. I love Petrucci's tone, which I can get pretty close to with my amp. However, Vai's tone, with a little more fluidity is more my cup of tea. Can anyone attest to the ability to reach vai's tone with a stiletto; either an ace or trident or a deuce? I know that tone is much more than JUST the amp and guitar, and I'm also extremely aware of the fact that achieving tone like vai's requires MUCH more than an amp and guitar alone, but the closer the better. Since he uses EL34's and his amp is voiced more like a marshall, I figured maybe the stiletto is the way to go. Thoughts?

Well, Vai really does play the Carvin Legacy head (I seen him live with one).

That amp don't sound like a Mesa, but a friend's son had one for a while and it is impressive.
For about $800, it's a bargain, but lacks grit & character compared to Mesa IMO. It's real "smooth"; no "fizz" or "buzz".
Also it was really, really bass heavy...had to keep bass knob to 9 o'clock or less (really! :shock: ).

I like the Stiletto (I own one) but it's closer to the tone Satriani gets than to Vai's.

I wouldn't expect you can clone Vai (Legacy) tone on any Mesa, but.....

Good luck :D

Agreed. I don't hear a lot of Vai in my sound. The Carvin sound is smoother with less grit. I definitely hear a bit of the Satch vibe going though.

Agreed... mine sounds more like Satriani's sound. Mine goes a very convincing "For the Love of God" sound but then I am also using Dimarzio Breeds on my guitar. I think the Stiletto can get really close but you need the right guitar...pick ups... effects and then the rest is in the fingers. I've never played a Carvin amp but would love to try one. Also... I'm pretty sure Vai is using a Bogner Ecstasy now.

Vai is still using his Legacy amps but now has a 3 channel version. If you visit Keeley Electronics he actually has a setup of a Boss DS1 (Ultra Mod) and a Ibanez TS9DX. I have tried this combo through many different amps and can really get you as close to the Vai sound as I have seen. These are the exact pedals that Vai actually uses on his pedalboard as late as his last tour.

guitarchris76 said:
Vai is still using his Legacy amps but now has a 3 channel version. quote]

Yes there is now a 3 channel Legacy. Check it out on the Carvin website. They say it was designed by Ben Fargen of Fargen amps (his real name....not a "friggin" pun....).

I costs almost twice what the first Legacy does, and more than the V3.

If he has switched to Bogner, I imagine Carvin won't be too happy...... :shock: :cry:

Back