stiletto vs rockerverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfnote

Reaction score
i am considering trading my trident for a rockerverb 50
does or has anyone owned both of these amps?
i am not anxious to lose my stiletto but i have heard some really good things about the orange
i am also a little unsure about the 6v6s i have never owned an amp w/ them, i am a deacon in the temple of the el34
any way i could really use some feedback

I was looking at one the other day. The 6V6's i'm a little concerned about... they can get mushy. I'd be interested in knowing as well... The other thing is the Stiletto is an amp that is better in a band situation than when you're trying it out or playing it at home... The Rockerverbs I've heard don't improve in a band situation. But again only trial and error will be the true judge. I'd love to hear opinions from people who have played both.

I quoted myself from another thread in the general amp section. I have the Rockerverb 100 which is EL34's but I used to run 6V6's in my Lonestar and really liked them. I've also played Rockerverb 50's and they performed just like my RV100 just not quite as loud.

Check out the Rob Chappers videos on Youtube. He plays the RV50 primarily and while he's got the gain up pretty loud is still sounds good.

madryan said:
Riff Blister said:
I've always wondered how the Rockverb stacks up against a Stiletto.
It's kind of been on my wish list.

I played them A/B style whilst shopping for amps. Brand new Stiletto Deuce and an Orange Rockerverb 100. Mesa OS 412 for both. Les Paul straight into the front. I really wanted to like the Mesa as I'm an unabashed Mesa ***** but the Orange destroyed the Stiletto in every way. It was fatter, warmer, ballsier, sounded better in general and it almost didn't matter how you tweaked the knobs on the Orange, it still sounded incredible. I dropped the cash right then and there and walked out with it. Ironically, it sounds even better on my buddies Egnater cab so I'll most likely be buying that cab and using my 212 for my DC-5.

A buddy of mine's got a RK II and for me, the Orange is better, but it's apples vs. oranges... heh heh...

Seriously, I had a Dual Rec (older 2 channel, ser # in the 800's) and on good days it was killer but for the most part it was a really hard amp to live with.

The Orange on the other hand is more Marshall-esque, but it's definitely got its own vibe. It's less compressed than the current high gain Marshalls (I A/Bd it against the Kerry King JCM800 and the JVM and it destroyed them both) It's just a big, fat, warm, punchy sound that works for all sorts of music.

Last night we took it to the local GC to try out Les Pauls (friend is looking for one) and used the Orange and my Les Paul as a baseline. The manager is a buddy of mine and plugged in a really nice strat and starts playing SRV tunes on the dirty channel and it sounded just like Stevie. Great amp all around.

Halfnote, did I see your Trident on Craig's list? Just wondering if its yours b/c it has the blonde makeover. If so, are you set on going to the Rockerverb?

I have both a Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce and a Rockerverb 50. FWIW, the Orange is my absolute favorite Strat-lead amp. It's cool for other stuff too, but for me it has a very distinct flavor that's always present in all the tones it has. I love it, and would hate to have to part with it, but it's definitely got a "thing" for me. I'm not saying it's not versatile, it is, just that it has one "color".

The Stiletto is killer - period. All kinds of tones, and I feel that the Stiletto is a little more chameleon-like with all it's modes. I could make an entire record with this one amp - no problem. And I feel that the Mesa takes all of my guitars better than the Orange. If I had to choose one over the other, it'd be the Stiletto, but in a perfect world, I wouldn't have to choose... and it must be a perfect world because so far I haven't had to choose!!!

Hope this helps. Brent

Back