What speakers is everyone using for their Deuce?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
I'm playing mostly heavy rock type stuff, and I'm currently running my head into a 1x12 Boogafunk Theile loaded with an EV 12L. I have a half open back Mesa 2x12 that needs speakers. What does everyone else recommend? Perhaps mixing two different speakers, one for the closed portion, the other for the open? I'm leaning away from the EV's for the 2x12 not only due to expense, but also due to wattage overkill. What does everyone think?

The EV and C90 are great speakers but not really for the Stiletto. They make it less bright and smoother, but I would recommend V30s or similar instead. They are much more aggressive and really add to the 'hard rock' tone by adding more bite. If the upper mid spike bugs you then try the Warehouse Guitar Speakers V30 clone called the Veteran 30. They have 'corrected' the upper mid spike and they sound awesome! Buy used, save some money, and skip the break in period!

I think once you hear the Stiletto through a V30 you will absolutely freak!!!

I was thinking of going with V30's, they seem like the safest bet. I just wanted to get some other opinions/ideas. I'd probably run the 2x12 simultaneously with the 1x12 (@8ohms each cab).

MusicManJP6 said:
If the upper mid spike bugs you then try the Warehouse Guitar Speakers V30 clone called the Veteran 30. They have 'corrected' the upper mid spike and they sound awesome! Buy used, save some money, and skip the break in period!
those verteran 30's sound real interesting, the mid spike is the usual complaint with V30's

I have a 2x12 Avatar cab with the Hellatone 30s I think thats their clone of a vintage30 and really like it alot. I also have a pair of the Warehouse Speakers "Green Berets" that I'm gonna put in another 2x12 cab if I can find one or build. But I would still like to find a used 2x12 mesa cab but their like $450 from what I've seen. :( Have to save up some dough.

The Hellatone 30s are actually V30's that Avatar uses a special method to break in. That is the only difference between those and the stock V30s. I've got them in a 412 cab and they sound great as well.

I'm not replacing my exisiting cab, nor do I need a 4x12. At this point, the 2x12 rarely gets used. The 1x12 is **** loud enough for the gigs I've been playing, mostly bar gigs. I think the venues are going to get larger soon, that's why I want to add the 2x12 with the EV loaded 1x12.

Personally, I like the combination of a V30 in a closed back with a G12H in the open back. I use that for one side of my stage rig (Triaxis and 50/50), and have also tried it with my new Ace and really like it.

Has anyone tried Greenbacks with the Stiletto? I have a 2x12 reco cab that I use with my Ace and I'm bugged by their harshness. I need to try some different tubes, but I know that will only change things moderatley. I'm thinking the vintage attack of the a couple Greenbacks would help. Thoughts?

What is the tonal difference in a 2x12 cab that is wired series parallel or just parallel. If you have 2 8ohm speakers and you wire a cabinet either configuration it will either be 16ohm or 4ohm load, correct? Is their a difference volume or tonal wise either way?

I just ordered a LOPO 2x12 cab and will have to wire the thing, just needed some ideas. 8)

There is no such thing as series parallel in a 2x12, it is either wired in series or wired in parallel.

You never ever want to wire a 2x12 in series. Reason fot his is in a series circuit if one speakers blows you lose all your load and there goes your amp.

With Parallel if one speakers goes you still have the second as a load.

Now the exception to the rule, you can wire a 2x12 in series if you are using it with another speaker cabinet in parallel.

You are correct on the Ohm's, in a series two eight ohm speakers will equal sixteen ohms, in parallel two eight ohm speakers will equal four ohms.

For 2x12 cabinets I will usually get two sixteen ohm speakers so this way it is running in eight ohm and i can run it with my other mesa 8 ohm cabinets if i want.

As to tonal difference there is, 4 ohm will be slightly louder, I forget the tone difference but there is a slight, but most people might not even notice it.

Duece2 said:
What is the tonal difference in a 2x12 cab that is wired series parallel or just parallel. If you have 2 8ohm speakers and you wire a cabinet either configuration it will either be 16ohm or 4ohm load, correct? Is their a difference volume or tonal wise either way?

I just ordered a LOPO 2x12 cab and will have to wire the thing, just needed some ideas. 8)

Hi all-

I'm a new Stiletto Deuce Stage I owner & this is my first post. I sold my Marshall JVM after two years and bought the Stiletto used. Here's my cab:

boogiebsmt.jpg

It's loaded with G12H30 (Heritages NOT 70th Anniversary Heritages). I've read a few disconcerting posts on this forum saying that the Stiletto is too "shrill" "bright" "raspy" etc. Vintage 30s IMO have ice-pick highs to start with (especially until they're broken in) so I wonder if a "woodier speaker" like the Heritage's in my cab are the answer. I think so :)

I play mainly classic rock and "live" in Channel I Crunch in the Stiletto. Personally, this one channel alone is worth the price of the amp for me. I leave my Klon on with the gain completely off for added "girth" and add additional gain with my OCD. For solos I kick on my MXR/CAE boost or use fluid drive on Ch2. So far, so good. Anyone else used Heritage's or Greenbacks with the Stiletto :?: Peace.

-GTE

V30's for me. They've become my all-purpose rock/metal speaker. Once they're broken in, I can't find a speaker that suits me better. Been using (and abusing) my current cab for about 5 years of constant practice and quite a few gigs. Couldn't imagine playing a gig without them these days.

I love V30's with my recto's, still trying to find my sound with the stiletto. I agee that V30's are a great speaker, once broken in that upper spike is not so present.

Silverwulf said:
V30's for me. They've become my all-purpose rock/metal speaker. Once they're broken in, I can't find a speaker that suits me better. Been using (and abusing) my current cab for about 5 years of constant practice and quite a few gigs. Couldn't imagine playing a gig without them these days.

I've been seriously thinking about trying some Scumback speakers in one of my Recto 2x12 cabinets. M75s maybe? I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.
I would like to try a Greenback style speaker with the Stiletto.
I'll keep the V30s in the oldest most used cabinet.
Does anybody have any experience with the Scumbacks?

Latest posts

Back