Almost sold my Ace, but now i'm keeping it... Why?...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
This is not the first time this 'phenomenon' has happened to me. I start finding my tone lacking, dull, uninspiring, etc... put my amp up for sale, start looking at other amps, blah, blah. Well, last night I stopped by GC (despite my hatred toward the place) and picked up some new strings for my standard JP. I bought the DR tite-fit 10's (switching from EB Hybrids). So, after restringing I tune up and plug up to my Ace. I usually go for spongy mode and a pretty low volume level because the wife is usually home. Well, my wife was not home so this time I went for Bold and turned it up just enough to where the amp opens up a little (you guys know what i'm talking about). Holy smokes! My touch responsiveness was there and the tone was killer! Rolling the volume back, changing pickups, using the tone knob - it all made much more difference with the new strings and bold setting with more volume.

Long story short - before you decide you are unhappy with your amp and want to sell it make sure to change your strings, tweak your settings, and TURN THE AMP UP JUST A LITTLE.

No doubt! Changing strings is one of the most significant things you can do to bring your tone back to life. If it didn't take so long, and cost so much, I'd change em every time I play

+1 on new strings and turning it up a little more

Good to see you are happy with your amp again.

+1 on turning the amp up. Everything seems to change when you do that. Too bad you can't do it too often. I've got as much GAS as anyone, been playing in a band for almost 30 years, and am always looking for the next best amp or guitar. I'm 15 mos. on Stiletto now and I haven't come across anything better for classic/hard rock.

Tweaking though may have a lot to do with it. Over time I put in 450s, Doug's preamp tubes, EQ in the loop, a Barber Tone Press, and drive it with Xotic AC. When I go into a store now and play an Ace is sounds like total crap compared to mine. The Stiletto is a rock solid foundation, and there are great places to go from there.

funny, I've got my ace up for sale in the classifieds, however,

today the rest of my tribe were out for a couple of hours so I decieded to have a play around with a few settings. The big thing for me with the ace is I always found it a bit thin / small sounding. The MXR 10 band in the loop seems to have sorted that out, I have dialed back the gain on the fluid drive channel to about 1/2 way and am boosting with the maxon which I haven't really done before as it seems to rob a bit of bottom end (see previous comment). Having the MXR has allowed me to dial up the treble to just below 1/2 way and the presence to just above 1/4. Result, full sounding but it's got some real roar to it.

Running it through the orange cab only was a big improvement too, I really wish I had bought the Deuce head and 4x12.

Still not sure what's best for the clean, I have the crunch with the gain about 1/2 way and it's a nice bluesy sort of just breaking up, roll off the vol to clean things up kick in the maxon and it starts to cook, I could run it clean and use my crunch box for the mid gain sounds but I think I like it better the way I have it.

One thing I have noticed, the bass and mid controls are pretty subtle, there's quite a big range where they sound good, the treble and especially the presence have a big effect, I think I have had these dialed a bit too far back with the band, I reckon I will cut through a lot better from now on.

I still plan on picking up a Mark Iv (or V) but I am not too bothered if the Ace doesn't sell, if it did I would probably look out for a deuce head anyway.

I will try the bold setting next time

Are the STR 450's still in production ?

Hey Gearhead - how do you like the G12-65 in your Ace? I've been relatively happy with the V30 (tried a C90 and it took away too much aggressiveness and bite - too smooth).

I usually run the clean channel super clean but i may try the crunch again with just a little breakup like i did before for a 'bright' clean with some breakup.

Sounds like the 12-65 is similar to the C90, it really smoothed things out and made everything more crunchy. I like the V30's in the Orange cab but found them way too bright in the combo.

The crunch mode on channel 1 is great, it really fattens up if you dime the gain. Doesn't leave much room for maneuver if you need a proper clean sound though which I never do, cleans up quite a bit with the volume knob but never proper clean.

I hear ya. I like diming the crunch too. Boosting it with an OD in front is killer too! It's strange how you can dime the gain in crunch and still have some dynamics. If you dime the gain in tite gain or fluid drive it just sounds like poo. Haha!

agreed, tite gain and fluid drive seem to get buzzy after about the 1 o'clock position.

Dimed gain on the crunch + boost is :D

450's are still available...

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/elsiemst.html

Glad you saw (or rather, "heard") the light! I played an Ace head through a stiletto 4x12 cab and was blown away! Part of the reason why I am thinking of buying a Stiletto Deuce head!

I'm a big fan of running my recto's in the "bold" setting and the "silicon diode" rectifier setting. It is amazing how tight you can get a recto by playing it in the solid state rectifier setting. This goes against what a lot of people set their recto's (and I would imagine their Stiletto's) up for but it makes a big difference in tightness and response.

What do you think of those DR strings? I have been a Dean Markley Blue Steel user for a while, but want to give the DR's a test drive.

The DRs are pretty nice! They are the tite fit ones. I think i'll give D'Addarios a try again and see how they compare. I've been on the EB slinkys for a long time.

The only reason i would sell the Stiletto at this point is to get a PRS. I've listed my amp 'for trade' for this reason. If that works out i'll prob get a DC combo next.

Nice. I just brought home my third PRS (after an 11 month wait from ordering it) and I love it. It is a Custom 24 with a solid rosewood neck and it is killer. My advice would be save up a little longer for the PRS without selling the Ace if you can. But if you need to sell the Ace, I understand where you are coming from.

Glad you're liking the DR's. I am going to try those soon....

I may be able to keep the Ace if I can get rid of some of the 'excess' in my closet. I've got about $150 in tubes and a Celestion speaker to get rid of as some other 'odds and ends'. People aren't buying much right now so it's not the best time to sell. I'll have to work my wife over to let me use about $500 from my recent Ernie Ball BFR sale. I slapped close to $2000 on my credit cards so I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to snag the remaining $500, xmas money, etc, etc to pick up a decent guitar for half the price of the BFR! I'll work on her and throw some stuff up on eBay I guess! haha.

Which BFR did you have? They are certainly nice guitars, but for the extra money, I think I would stick with their production models.

I had a Petrucci BFR in Tobacco Burst. It was an insane guitar but set me back $2200. I sold and made $250 on it though so i can't complain i guess!

There should be a pool on how long it takes till your first "Sold my Stiletto, wish I had it back" post. :lol:

Haha - I guess in the end I felt like it was too much amp for my needs right now.. It's found a good home though! It will be paired with a matching 2x12 cab... :twisted:

BTW, I've not regretted selling an amp EVER. If I make the decision to get rid of it then it is for good reason!

Latest posts

Back