Boosting a Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr GearHead

Reaction score
How many of you guys are boosting your stiletto’s and what with ?

I have a maxon od-808 and whilst it’s a great pedal I just don’t think it adds anything to the ace.

I run channel 1 in crunch with the gain maxed (it’s so thick sounding like that), I play with the guitar volume if I want to clean things up but I don’t really have the need for a proper clean sound. Channel 2 I run in fluid drive with the gain btw ½ - ¾ depending on how I’m feeling.

My GT-8 has some OD models in it and i like the T-Scream model OK. Seems to add gain and saturation. Not sure if that helps or not.

MusicManJP6 said:
My GT-8 has some OD models in it and i like the T-Scream model OK. Seems to add gain and saturation. Not sure if that helps or not.

yep, really just wondering what the general census is

I like my Xotic AC+, low gain overdrive, with very little overdrive using the volume to push the Stiletto harder. For me it works better than the tube screamer pedals with the mid hump because the Stiletto already cuts through the mix so well. The Xotic pedal has a nice full range of tone so the pushed amp is nice and full. I could see where this setup may not work well for someone with a bass heavy setup but for the Stiletto it works great for me. Also consider a good clean boost pedal. As high as you like running your gains I wouldn't think you'd need to hit the front of your amp with much more overdrive.

MJ Slaughter said:
As high as you like running your gains I wouldn't think you'd need to hit the front of your amp with much more overdrive.

i think you nailed it. I go through phases wrt gain, in the past it's been as low as about 1/3 on tite gain (playing the same sort of stuff). I think now I have the MXR 10 band eq it will come down again.

You have what I used with my ACE, a Maxon OD808. I think it sounds great with it. Try "Tite Gain" instead of "Fluid Drive" and boost it with the Maxon for your second channel.

I use a BB Preamp but set the gain very low and use it as a boost. To be honest the BB Preamp sounds exactly like the Stiletto anyway so all it does is allow you to create a 3 channel simulation IMO.

i feel the same way about my AC(+). Sounds like the Stiletto, just like giving you another channel.

Exotic pedals are amazing.... They just sound like a great overdriven amp and allow you to get any amount of overdrive you like. Very natural sounding and touch sensitive.

Thanks to this thread I went through my GT-8 and changed the OD i was using as a boost. I was using the TS model before and now i've found a OD model called 'booster'. It is just a clean boost. Works great to add a little grit and saturation without the mid hump! Thanks for the help...

Back