KT77s in my Stiletto - i'm pulling the trigger

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I'm buying a pair of KT77s from jhguitar coz i've heard many people really like them. I figured it is worth a try to hear them.

Anyone wanna share their experiences with KT77s in a Stiletto?

Dude you will not regret it, I've had them in both my ace and now my deuce. The stiletto's are VERY focused, the 77's adds more chunk and relaxes the amp somewhat. You do loose some of the focus, more you have a wider spectrum of sound with 77's. I would also recommend one of the JJ recto tubes as well, if you are ordering from euro tubes. Nice improvement as well.

I bought some JJ KT77's for my ace 1x12 but couldn't get them to fit. I'm sure they will but they are slightly longer than the mesa tubes and I just couldn't get them in.

Let me know how you get on because I really want to try them.

hmmm... i also have a 1x12 Ace... I wonder if i'll be able to get them to fit? You know what... I bet you'd have to pull the chassis out a few inches to clear the top of the angled speaker enclosure of the combo to make more room to insert them. Once they are in there should be room to slide it back in...

Mesahonk, did you have any trouble getting them to fit in your Ace? Is it a head or combo? And which recto tubes did you buy at Eurotubes and what makes them different from the stock Mesa 5U4GB?

I'm waiting on jhguitar1 to get back to me with a paypal address for the KT77s.

I had trouble in the combo, you either have to pull the chassis and install the tubes, or you can have the key lined up, and the install at the perfect angle. It's tight but it does fit.

amp face down, take off the back panel, then 4 screws on top, and lift out the chassis, after you unplug the speaker cable.

Can we get some A/B Sound clips with these tubes in the Ace? My curiosity is getting the best of me...

-Chris

MusicManJP6 said:
Mine should be in Monday or Tuesday. I'm very excited to hear them! I'll give a full review...
At first, I didn't like the KT77's because they seemed to add to the harshness issue. As soon as I put in Tung Sols in the preamp, the KT77's worked very well. Not as tight of a sound as with EL 34's and slightly less aggressive, but more expansive, and very good regardless. You really shouldn't have to remove the chassis. Just go in with the pins lined correctly and they will go.

Thanks for the info, paytojt! I'm very curious to hear them. It sounds like I'll need a TS for the preamp as well since i've heard many people recommend them for the Stiletto. I'll have to see if the GC here or one of the local stores has a TS or two...

Well, the KT77s came in and my first impression is that they are definitely not as focused as the stock 447s. They sound more natural. I only had about 10 minutes to mess with them on my lunch break, but I also noticed a little less aggressiveness. I like them so far!

I also stopped by Guitar Center but found that they DID NOT HAVE ANY PREAMP TUBES IN THE STORE!!! The GC here in Greenville is a joke. Totally lame...

I have a Tung Sol preamp tube on the way thanks to eBay... I've read enough good things about it to be very curious!

I may stop by another store I was told about here locally and pick up a GT-12ax7-C as well. I've heard good things about them in a Stiletto.

MusicManJP6 said:
I have a Tung Sol preamp tube on the way thanks to eBay... I've read enough good things about it to be very curious!

I may stop by another store I was told about here locally and pick up a GT-12ax7-C as well. I've heard good things about them in a Stiletto.

I have TS in the first 3 spots, then JJ's finish it out. I can run the treble at about 11:30 and the presence at about 10:30 with no problem. I get the cut without the harshness.

I just got my Tung Sol tube in the mail (finally). Installed it in V1 and WOW. What a difference. It's smoother and the harshness is almost completely gone! It doesn't seem too much darker either. I'm thinking that paytojt is on to something using a TS in V1 - V3. I may do the same as soon as I sell some tubes i've got laying around.

Deuce2: you can certainly use KT77s in your Deuce!

MusicManJP6 said:
I just got my Tung Sol tube in the mail (finally). Installed it in V1 and WOW. What a difference. It's smoother and the harshness is almost completely gone! It doesn't seem too much darker either. I'm thinking that paytojt is on to something using a TS in V1 - V3. I may do the same as soon as I sell some tubes i've got laying around.

Deuce2: you can certainly use KT77s in your Deuce!

dude, did those tung sols replace the stock tubes ?

Back