Current Rectifier model differences & low volume sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbowski

Reaction score
I'd like to buy my first Mesa amp, and I'm after that modern pre-amp high-gain Rectifier sound as heard on hard rock and/or metal records from the 1990s. I have two somewhat related questions here.
1. This point has been edited/removed: I'd messed up here, misread the info page.
2. Which version of Rectifier (Mini, Rectoverb, Dual or Badlander) would work best at "bedroom" volumes in modern high-gain mode?

Just to get a few things out of the way: never tried a real Rectifier in my life, never had a chance cuz no stores where I live in Europe carry them. Just used a Dual Rec preset on an amp emulator processor in the past (before I got into tube amps) - liked it, used it most of the time. When I got into tube amps, I only owned British-voiced Marshally amps mostly due to the availability. Looking back, even though I sort of enjoyed high-gain Marshall sound and didn't think about it, I actually wanted the Dual Rectifier kind of tone most of the time. So I just figured: what the hell, why not order one and be happy? I know there are other amps that are sort of in that ballpark, but I'd like to get as close to the Rectifier sound as possible.
I know the limitation I have with volume is far from ideal given that Mesas are by no means low-wattage amps, but maybe I can make one of them work given that I'm after that modern pre-amp distortion and don't need power-amp break up?

Thanks in advance!

turbowski said:
I'd like to buy my first Mesa amp, and I'm after that modern pre-amp high-gain Rectifier sound as heard on hard rock and/or metal records from the 1990s. I have two somewhat related questions here.
1. Mini Rectifier and Rectoverb heads - these have different pre- and power-amp tubes than Dual Rectifier. Why? Do they deliver the types of tones that are associated with Dual Rectifier? How far off the mark are they?
2. Which version of Rectifier would work best at "bedroom" volumes in modern high-gain mode? Let's throw the Badlander into the mix.

Just to get a few things out of the way: never tried a real Rectifier in my life, never had a chance cuz no stores where I live in Europe carry them. Just used a Dual Rec preset on an amp emulator processor in the past (before I got into tube amps) - liked it, used it most of the time. When I got into tube amps, I only owned British-voiced Marshally amps mostly due to the availability. Looking back, even though I sort of enjoyed high-gain Marshall sound and didn't think about it, I actually wanted the Dual Rectifier kind of tone most of the time. So I just figured: what the hell, why not order one and be happy? I know there are other amps that are sort of in that ballpark, but I'd like to get as close to the Rectifier sound as possible.
I know the limitation I have with volume is far from ideal given that Mesas are by no means low-wattage amps, but maybe I can make one of them work given that I'm after that modern pre-amp distortion and don't need power-amp break up?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum!

1. The ‘mini’ Rectifiers use the exact same preamp tube configuration as their big brothers, five 12AX7 tubes. I don’t know why you thought they were different. The power tubes are different because it is a low power amp. They have no problem delivering that ‘Recto tone’ at low volumes as that is what they are designed for.

2. If you are just going to be jamming at home at bedroom level get the mini version, the big Recto’s need volume to sound and feel their best. I’ve played and gigged some form of a Rectifier amp since 2001 (Triple Recto, Roadster) up to last year (now using two TC-100’s) and they all have their own vibe, even amps of the same model, but they all deliver that Recto vibe.

Thanks for your response, Dom.
1. I messed up here. I misread the tube info on the website.
2. Regarding the tone... The thing is, I've been watching YT videos (after I've put my question up on here) and the Mini Rec seems to sound tinier, not as "wide" as the big boy. This video, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvmZjSS4gOw
Of course, the big boy was played at a full 100 watts, and the Mini was played at a slightly lower volume, but both played at a loud volume. So that's not necessarily the indication of what the Dual sounds like at bedroom levels.
I appreciate that the Dual doesn't sound its best at low levels, but I just wonder whether it sounds better/fuller at super low volumes compared to the Mini at the same level... By the way, I'm actually talking the most recent Dual because it looks like the way to buy a Mesa in Europe is to order one from a dealer.

Back