Rectifier 4x12 wiring: anyone go from stock p/s to s/p?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

Reaction score
I notice they are wired like the Marshalls, parallel/series, AKA series at the jack.

Many folks prefer series/parallel, or parallel at the jack (Bogner, Friedman, etc.).

Anyone here rewire theirs, and if so, which did you prefer?

I searched the internet over, and I found ONE thread on the Marshall forum where a player had a cab that got rewired by a tech for two 16 ohm pairs in parallel and he loved it. None here, none at TGP, none at Rig-talk, even. Kind of surprised!

There are good reasons to do things, right and wrong ways to do ****, as clear as black and white, one is wiring a cabinet in series parallel not parallel series and here's why. If a speaker heats up and dies while playing and it's wired PS, the whole loop shuts off and your amp sees no load, in a about a minute or so of not seeing a load, your amp is fried. If you are wired SP and a speaker good down, there will still be two speakers running, your ohm load will change and you might notice a change in volume and tone but your amp will be safe and you will thank me. Your welcome in advance. (Both ways sound the same.)

Rock n roll isn’t about safety.

I haven't blown a speaker in nearly 30 years of playing.

Obviously this is a non-issue, else Bogner, Friedman, etc. would care. They don’t, I don’t see a problem. I see your point but it’s fair to say it’s moot.

As far as sound, the two ways can be radically different, and if you can’t hear it, that is fine. Many can. A simple search will reveal that.

Anyone else? Really surprised no one talks of that here. I’d say it’s on the same level as bias pots in a recto!

Furthermore, Mesa manuals say the 4x12 cabs ARE wired series/parallel, and the diagram from Zen desk shows that too. How can this be, when its clearly two 8 ohm parallel pairs, series at the jack?

Will a mod or someone from Boogie please respond?

Nigel said:
Furthermore, Mesa manuals say the 4x12 cabs ARE wired series/parallel, and the diagram from Zen desk shows that too. How can this be, when its clearly two 8 ohm parallel pairs, series at the jack?

Will a mod or someone from Boogie please respond?
I don’t understand your urgency for an ‘official’ reply to your question.

Where did you find a manual for the Rectifier 4x12 that shows wiring?

You are correct, the cabinets are wired with two parallel 4 ohm pairs (8 ohms each speaker) in series to yield 8 ohms total load, or Series/Parallel. There’s no mystery there that needs official validation.

While I’ve never tried it, I would imagine the differences to be very sutle, the amp is seeing 8 ohms regardless, the overall operating impedance of the speaker is more dependent on frequency and cabinet design than series vs parallel wiring.

It’s your gear, rewire it as you like. Just make sure the end result is a proper load for your amp.

Be sure to post your results.

Rectifier Roadster and other manuals state the 4x12’s are wired series/parallel.

“Series/parallel” is two series pairs, in parallel at the jack. That has been settled for years. It is accepted at Rig-Talk, The Gear Page, Metropolous Forum, TDPRI, just about everywhere, including Celestion dot com.

I custom wire all of my cabs, and my stained birch 4x12 has a switch to go from S/P to P/S. It’s only one wire, as in the brilliant Randall Aiken’s diagram. There is a very big difference in tone, and feel. Even Dave Friedman can’t make up which way he prefers...though his much lauded and beloved 4x12 comes series/parallel.

You assume much and come of as condescending, fyi, the both of you. Please refrain from commenting on this thread any further. You have offered nothing of value.

"You assume much and come of as condescending, fyi, the both of you. Please refrain from commenting on this thread any further. You have offered nothing of value."

My comments are 100% of total value to performers who wish to minimize speaker loss. You are something special.

Me? WTF? You asked a question about speaker wiring, no? I stated my best opinion and now I'm condescending? What does that make you? We know, yes, we know. Please do not refrain from flaming.

Hmm... so I voice my opinion, and because you don’t agree I’m condescending.........

You come in here demanding an audience with a Mesa rep for what may simply be a typo buried deep in an amplifier manual, then can’t handle my criticism. BTW- if it is so urgent that you get clarification you can call Mesa Boogie customer service directly. They are a very helpful bunch of folk.

I stand by what I said: “I have never tried it and think the difference would be subtle”

You do not dictate where I can post, I’ll freely post my opinion as I see fit.

I will however stay out of this thread, I doubt I have anything of value to you to add as my cork sniffing days are well behind me (now I’m condescending).

I got a new dust cover for my cab and it totally improved the tone. Even <REDACTED> can't make up which way he prefers mesa branded covers.

Your opinions are worthless if you disagree with my take.

Edit: I have just found out EVH passed away. RIP

Honestly what is the difference? The amp is still seeing a 8 ohm load and can’t tell the difference electrically. I’ve seen wiring diagrams between the two and the difference always looked in a 412cabinet that you series wire the upper pair then parallel the upper and lower pairs vs wiring the right and left pairs in series with each other respectively then parallel wiring the two pairs. How is it different at the cabinet jack?

Back