New 50th Anniversary Dual Recto FX loop issues. (Pics)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106ESP

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time no post.

I just picked up a 50th Anniversary Dual Rectifier. I normally play a Diezel VH4 but was missing those old tones I loved back in the day and wow does this amp have it.

I am having issues with the FX loop, Loop Level knob and also output knob. The manual really does not explain it well in terms of how they all work with each other and I have been fiddling around with it all night. (Or maybe I am just too dumb to understand it lol)

So when I am on say.....channel 3 modern and I have my main rhythm metal tone dialed in.... when I engage the FX loop with the foot switch... the tone changes immediately (and not for the good. Lowers the volume as well even if the FX loop knob on the back is set to 12 noon).

Also another thing I totally CANNOT wrap my head around is this...

So I have a TC Electronic Flashback Delay and MXR Chorus. On my VH4 I stick the chorus in the channel insert of channel one for cleans. Then in the parallel loop of the VH4 I stick the Delay for my clean and lead channel for solos. I use the FX loop level on the front of the VH4 to blend it in while the delay is at 100% wet.

On this new dual Rectifier when I turn on the FX loop with the delay ON...
1 I get the tonal change
2 I get this bizzare backward delay of notes being produced. Like I pluck a few notes and then they play a second or two later out of sync and delayed but sound horrible.

So in a nutshell.... Any advice on how the FX loop works and what are the best practices?

My last amp before the Recto was a Mesa Mark V. Which I think I had the same type of FX loop. I stuck a delay in the loop, left the loop on at all times and simply turned on the delay pedal when I wanted delay and zero issues.

Thanks so much in advance!

USmmPma.jpg

5BQFpZA.jpg

Not sure why you're getting a delay, or latency for a better term, when using effects in the loop. That is absolutely not normal. I bought a new multiwatt Triple Rec and it didn't have that issue. That said, I will say the effects loop on ALL Rectifiers sucks big time! On the old models this is easily fixed with a mod of the loop from parallel to series. The new multiwatts, and your 50th anniversary, have their so called "improved series loop" however I found the loop to still be atrocious. It still had all the phasing of the parallel loop. I wound up sending the amp back for a refund and bought an older used model.

So, the only helpful thing I can suggest is to make sure you are not running the effects at 100% wet like you probably did with your VH4 - since you mentioned you used the FX loop level to adjust the effect volume. With your new Mesa you will adjust the level of the effects using the mix in the effect itself. Perhaps that is why you're getting the delay, because you're only hearing the 100% wet delay sound? They shouldn't sound reversed though. So, sorry I can't be more helpful other than to say Mesa still can't seem to get their FX loop right for this age of digital effects units.

Rev.

Rev2025 said:
Not sure why you're getting a delay, or latency for a better term, when using effects in the loop. That is absolutely not normal. I bought a new multiwatt Triple Rec and it didn't have that issue. That said, I will say the effects loop on ALL Rectifiers sucks big time! On the old models this is easily fixed with a mod of the loop from parallel to series. The new multiwatts, and your 50th anniversary, have their so called "improved series loop" however I found the loop to still be atrocious. It still had all the phasing of the parallel loop. I wound up sending the amp back for a refund and bought an older used model.

So, the only helpful thing I can suggest is to make sure you are not running the effects at 100% wet like you probably did with your VH4 - since you mentioned you used the FX loop level to adjust the effect volume. With your new Mesa you will adjust the level of the effects using the mix in the effect itself. Perhaps that is why you're getting the delay, because you're only hearing the 100% wet delay sound? They shouldn't sound reversed though. So, sorry I can't be more helpful other than to say Mesa still can't seem to get their FX loop right for this age of digital effects units.

Rev.

Hey thanks for the reply Rev.

Turns out the TC Flashback was broken lol. Went haywire after about 40 days. So I exchanged it and will test it in the loop of the recto tomorrow. Hopefully this one works.

It sucks the the loops in the Recto's are bad. You'd figure they would take the time to make them usable/perfect since the amp is so popular. I really just want to run my delay and chorus through it so I'll give it a whirl tomorrow as well. I have not played a recto in about 10 years and wow... the clean channel IMO is wayyyy better than my VH4. I do prefer the features and overdrive of the VH4 much more than the recto, but I love different tones and I just love some variety and missed that good old modern recto sizzle modern red setting. Sounds so good with a TS9 in front of it. I play custom shop ESP's with EMG's and the TS9 helps when I switch to my custom shop Les Paul with Passives. Really takes out the "flub" and adds the gain I need.

I'll try your tip with backing off the FX at 100% wet. On the VH4 channel inserts and parallel loop they want you to have your effects 100%, so I'll back them off and do some more testing.

In general do you run your FX loop level knob on the back at noon? or do you max it or turn it all the way down. So weird how the FX loop level knob, channel knobs and output knob are all somehow wired together (or at least that's how I read it). The VH4 is so much more manageable with regard to FX and Midi controls.

I wish I had two cabs right now. I'd love to combine the tone of the VH4 channel and the modern channel 3 on the recto. :lol:

If one has any pedal in the fx loop with instrument level input it’ll drop the output and most probable will produce unwanted distortion to signal.

I had a Roadster some time ago and the loop was top notch when using proper line level effects :) as is mentioned in the amps manual the fx loop is line level.

Ok so quick update.

So indeed the TC Flashback Delay was defective. I got a new one and stuck it in the loop and it works perfect.

ALSO....I noticed this...

When I kick on the FX loop with the delay I don't really see a tonal change anymore. I have the FX loop knob in the back at noon.

BUT as soon as I put an MXR analog chorus pedal in the loop...BOOM huge tonal change for the worst. The loop does NOT like analog delays. I guess that is why all you guys mod your loops.

So far I am digging the recto. Way different than my VH4 but I like different tones. Sounds great with a Tube Screamer TS9 slammed in the front to tighten things up and also help when I go from EMG's to my custom shop Les Paul.

It is annoying tap dancing from dirty to clean (switch channels, then TS9 off, then chorus off). I love how the VH4 is all midi controlled.

But so far I am impressed. The cleans are WAY better on this Recto than the VH4 in my opinion. It's the one thing I don't like about the VH4... the cleans are not pristine. (or at least I cannot dial them in pristine lol)

Latest posts

Back