100w Dual Recto into 112 Lonestar Cab...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caves89

Reaction score
Hello everyone, glad to be part of the Boogie Board, this is my first topic!

Well I've recently traded in my Mark V head (90 watt version) for a 2005 3 Channel Dual Recto, I just couldn't handle all the features of the Mark, and with the recto I feel at home. Thing is, that I kept the cab I was using with my Mark V head for home practicing and to tackle some small gigs, which is a 23" Lonestar 112 Cab with a 90w Black Shadow Speaker. Well my question is, is this safe to use with the Recto? , I know there is a 10w gap between the 100w Recto head and the 90w cab, will that be enough of a gap to blow up the speaker?, could I use this cab for small gigs? (I pretend not to pass 12 O' Clock with the Output knob, yes, I'm using the fx loop), Thanks in advance for helping me out here!

Hi.

I would say “not safe, but with precautions risk is manageable” :shock:

If the recto has 50w setting -> use that -> risk to blow the speaker is smaller.
Spongy -mode lowers the output -> smaller risk to fry the speaker.
Tube rectification lowers the output -> smaller risk to get a smokey cone...

And keep in mind: lower frequencies (bass) has more energy -> more energy to speaker -> more risk to have blown speaker and amp output trafo.

As a wrap up: not safe but manageable :)

Thanks for your advice!, well it's not the Multiwatt version, its the 3 Channel 100 watt Recto, I'm actually running it on the Spongy/Tube setting, I found that setting perfect for my playing style. As I stated before, I'm using the 112 Lonestar cab for home practicing, also its an 8 Ohm cab, I read somewhere that at 8 Ohms a 100w amp outputs around 80w. I also pretend to use this cab for small gigs, just to be easy on my back, I don't think that i'll be pushing the Output Master beyond 1/3rd since I always get Mic'ed to the PA, will this be safe?, thanks again.

caves89 said:
I read somewhere that at 8 Ohms a 100w amp outputs around 80w.

Well. 100W tube amp can push a lot more power than the rated wattage to output... so from 100w amp to around 160w may be possible. Even bigger amounts from some amps with huge transformers.

Use spongy and tube recto to reduce the risk to blow up the speaker and the amp...

I've noticed that a couple of MESA 100w 112 combos come stock with a Celestion C90 (Black Shadow) 90w speaker like the Lonestar 100 and Fillmore 100 Combos, but I know that the Recto pushes harder on the bass freq so should I be okay playing the Recto below 12 or 10 O'Clock on the output Master?, i'm using a TC Flashback x4 delay on the loop too, thanks again.

caves89 said:
should I be okay playing the Recto below 12 or 10 O'Clock on the output Master?

It has risks and I refuse to say it is okay as long as there is risk of frying the speaker and the amp. :shock:

Now you know a bit more about risks and you have to evaluate yourself if you are willing to take the gamble :) too many variables to say 100% safe or 100% not safe.

Probably the speaker can handle the power but it also may not be able to handle it...

12:00 on the output is loud, how high are your channel masters?

Small gigs that are mic’ed should be OK, just don’t push too much bass, especially in the clean tones. Distortion tends to compress the signal, reducing dynamic peaks a bit, but the punch of a clean bass note is quite different, and could indeed damage the voice coil.

As always, do so at your own risk. Seeing that Mesa uses the 90W Black Shadow in its combos, it’s probably a safe bet.

If the funds should ever allow, a Recto horizontal 2X12 cab sounds great, and would eliminate power handling concerns.

I'm running my Master's at around 12 O'Clock on all channels. I use Ch 3 on "Modern", Ch 2 on "Vintage" and Ch 1 on "Clean". I also have the Fx Loop Send Knob at about 13:00. I don't think I'd ever push the output knob beyond 30% If got the cab mic'ed. I do have a 212 Cab at my rehearsal space, I hand built this cab and it's loaded with 2 Eminence speakers (Governor and Wizard) for total output of 150w so I know i'll be okay there, that cab is a behemoth to carry around though so I would prefer a compact 112 cab for small club giggin' . Either way, thanks for your advice and I'll lookout for those Bass frequencies to be tamed. Cheers!

Back