Dual Rectifier Solo Head - Clean Channel problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCman2626

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forums. I've got an older (I'm guessing very late 90s or early 2000s) Dual Rectifier Solo Head. The head is strictly a basement jam/recording amp. It never leaves the house. Over the past few months its developed a problem with the clean channel. I know these amps historically don't have the "sparkly clean" tones you'd get from say a Fender, but the clean was always decent enough especially when stacking effects. And lets face it, we don't buy these for the clean channel :p

Now when I first turn the amp on and start playing, the clean channel sounds normal. After about 5 minutes of playing when the amp starts to warm up, the clean channel starts to get very muddy and almost starts sounding like it is clipping. If you play with heavy dynamics (especially with effects), the amp sounds like horrible digital clipping. I run the Gain around 9:00 and the Master around 2-3:00. I control the overall volume with the Output. It seems to not matter whether the amp is playing loud or not, it gives the same result. Tried multiple guitars, ran straight into the amp with no effects, even tried swapping two of the preamp tubes (V1 & V3). All gave the same result. Channels 2 & 3 seems to be normal.

Any thought on what could be wrong or anything I can check next? Thanks!

Back