The potential of the underrated 3ch Dual Rectifier!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I've been a huge Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier fan for as long as I can remember. Needless to say I was pretty stoked when I got my first recto Recto. It's a 2000's 3 channel solo head, so the non-multiwatt one. For some reason this 'revision' doesn't get as much love as the older 2 channel Recto's but I don't think it's deserved as I think this amp delivers on all fronts!

To put this to the test I made a demo with 15 different guitars and 19 different styles. So everything from clean to heavy with single coil guitars, EMG equipped guitars, extended range and baritone guitars. This is a good way to find out what the amp is capable of.

I'm not a huge boost fan so most of the clips do not have a boost on except for the 7 and 8-string bits at the end. This amp delivers that classic Recto sound without a boost just fine imho. I just kind of prefer amps to sound as pure as they can. I often feel like boost pedals take away from the unique characters of the amp. Of course this is just my own view and taste, there is nothing wrong with using boosts, just personal preference :)

Here is the demo. There are timecodes in the description for easy skipping. Of course the juicy red channel modern mode stuff is more at the end. That's what most people love about Recto's. There is a lot of other stuff in there though. Things like the 'raw' and 'vintage' voicings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qSJusAHrAc

Sounds pretty good eh? Would love to know your thoughts! Also, do you own a Recto or do you have experience with these amps? What revisions have you owned or played through. I would love to discover more about this legendary amp! Also, it never hurts to see pics of great amps so show me your Recto's!!

Great playing on the vid - especially the earlier stuff, IMHO. Lots of styles and versatility, without lame weird stuff just for the sake of versatility. It is starting to seem rather cliche to me, that all the red channel modern mode demos are drop tuned neo-metal stuff. It hasn't demoed it fully without EL34's, too.

Great job :)

Enjoyed listening those clips of yours. It’s always nice to see that somebody has given time and thought to these demonstrations. Nice playing and engineering.
Personally I would not use the raw mode, as the tone was not of my liking but it worked really well in your clip. As I used to own a Roadster head and the mode which was not in use was the raw. Somehow it’s too stiff for my guitar-bludgeoning.

There are days when I miss the Roadster (channel 3&4 mostly) but not enough money and storage space to have every amp under the sun in home :)

Thanks for your comments guys! Glad you enjoyed the video! Can't wait to do the same with my Mark V 35 and Mini Rectifier!

I just purchased this amp. I have been a Mark V owner for years, but this amp is amazing I love it. I have been running through a 16 ohm Orange PPC412 and it is amazing. I am beyond happy. I read alot of forums where people say they dont like it but I cant figure out why. It's awesome!

I had a MK V for 3 years and chased tone between 18 guitars , find something beautiful then loose it switching from single coil to humbucker guitar . Eventually found a early 2000's 3 channel DR and it sounded so good I took pictures of the settings at the guy's house I bought it from I was so worried about loosing tone , lol ( the MK V owner in me ) . Now about 6 years later I have a early 2000's Dual Recto , Triple Recto and don't miss the MK V at all . For me the 3 channel non multi-watt Recto's are the best amp ever made , both of mine sound beautiful turned up or turned down and mic'd

Latest posts

Back