Opinions on a ‘95 Triple Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny2c+

Reaction score
I’m looking at this amp, apparently an all original 1995 Triple Rec, s/n 49xx, small logo, black faceplate and chrome chassis. The thing I find really cool about it is that I’ve seen photo confirmed evidence that its trannies are the leftover mkIII Coliseum stock. My ‘89 Mark III (with mkIIc+ trannies in it) is one of m favorite amps ever, so it’s cool that it has an OT giving the Recto a Mark Series flavouring.
The thing I’m wondering is that the seller insists they’ll go no lower than $1500usd ($2000cad for me) for the amp, and I know that the days of getting a killer amp for only a few hundred bucks is almost non-existent, but would you consider this a good price for the amp? I see other 2-3 channel Triples go for half that price pretty consistently..
Any other comments from anyone who has owned one like this would also be appreciated.

It's always been my understanding that Mesa has basically only ever had ONE output transformer for ALL 150 watt/six output tube amps.

The OT in the D180 I had appeared to be identical to the OT in my first gen TRS head. It's supposed to be the same one used in EVERY Coliseum head.

Given the cost of developing new transformers that are that big, it would make complete sense to me to find out that they had one decent output transformer design and just stuck with it for every six power tube application they came up with.

I could be wrong, but that is what I currently understand the situation to be. If I am correct then all Mesa amps with six power tubes and 150 watt ratings use the same output transformer.

For reference, the markings on the OT on my TRS head are:
MESA
40-16661
166-0307

I'm guessing the first number is the Mesa part number. The second may be anything, possibly the manufacturer's part number, and I speculate that the third number is a date of manufacture/production serial number code.

I guess I cannot speak about the specific windings and spec design of the transformers possibly being different or the same, it seems sensible that they may have designed one PT and/or OT design to run all their amps around the same wattage. What I was getting at with the trannies being leftover Coliseum stock is that they’re Schumacher transformers, with the EIA606 designation on all of them. I know that for people who love old Boogie’s, there’s something to the Schumacher transformers.
None of your serial numbers align with that of the TR I’m looking at.

Latest posts

Back