Changing Speaker, are connections are soldered?Need help please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm changing the speaker in my 1x12 open back boogie cab, that I use with my road king 2.Im not a big fan of the C90, so I ordered a celestion creamback 75 and a celestion Alnico cream 90.My plan is to try both out and keep the one I like best and return the other for a full refund.Only ive just noticed something.The cables connected to the speaker are soldered.Now ive changed speakers before in a fender amp or 2 and maybe a marshall etc.SO i presumed changing the speaker in my boogie cab would be the same.However,on those amps,the speaker connections just slotted on to the speaker.The cables on this cab dont appear to have connections,just 2 wires that are soldered on to the speaker.They dont appear to have connections.So to change speakers I will have to solder a connection(I cant solder and will have to pay someone to do it most likely).This will most likely make it hard for me to return one of the speakers or quickly switch out and compare each speaker.I have a question for anyone who has changed speakers in a boogie cab,are the usual speaker connections still there,but covered in solder(for a better connection perhaps?) or is it basically just 2 wires soldered to the speaker?I cant really make out whats under the solder.I can upload some pics if anyone is unsure of what I mean.Really need someone to confirm this.Cheers

The wires are soldered right to the tabs on the speaker. If you don't mind spending a few bucks extra, you can buy a harness with tabs and a jack already on it.

Hi,thanks for the reply.I have found someone to add some connections on to the end of the cables.Should work ok for quickly a/b ing. Then i can get it properly soldered when I decide which speaker to keep.Unless theres no real need to solder, or is it a better connection I wonder?

Soldering is much more reliable method, especially in a guitar cabinet.

As long as the connectors fit tightly you should be OK. I play at band volume regularly, and gig and often, so I prefer not to use connectors.

Back