Mesa Tremoverb Don't Cut Through Mix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
I noticed from our band's show last night the videos posted and onstage that my Mesa Tremoverb head got lost in the mix. I either pissed all over the mix by turning up too much or got lost completely. It wasnt just something I noticed either, in the past too - audience members and friends always used to say it sounded great but they couldnt hear me so well. I didnt scoop my mids either, i used to keep them at 2 oclock with the presence around 1 or 2 and the bass around 11 oclock and last night I had the presence, treble and mids pretty much cranked and it sounded horrible :(

I wouldn't worry too much about one show if the other ones have been fine, man - room, mix of stage volume vs. PA, if the room was small enough that stage volume mattered in the mix, amp placement on the stage becomes a thing, if it's all coming from the PA then maybe the mic placement on the amp was off... there's just so many variables.

If you are trying to go for a really super tight, very modern tone (which I was guessing from you talking about cranking your mids and not scooping?), here's what I do on my ROV. Ch2 Modern, turn the bass down to like 9 o'clock, mids up to 3, treble way *down* at like 9, then start with the presence at noon and dial in highs that way. Gain about 3:30, master and output both at noon. Then hit the front end with a clean boost. It will sound weird and bright and thin by itself but as soon as you're in the mix, you'll get it. In this style the recto's "problem" is that it doesn't have a depth/resonance control so you need to do some weird **** in the tone stack.

edit: if you're the only guitarist in the band you will also probably want to put a GEQ in the loop and add a little bit of lows back - that will work better in the loop than from the preamp.

EQ in the loop will solve all your problems. Just set the loop to 100% mix making it close to being a serial loop. It doesn’t take much of a bump in the mids on the EQ to totally change the character of the amp. I use a MXR 10 band but almost any one will get it done.

What are your mids set at? Are you running spongy or bold, and do you have the tube rectifiers engaged?

Also, make sure that you have the effects loop "send" control set pointing straight up, which is unity gain. If you have it lowered, that lowers your overall output level maximum, as it is always in the circuit.

Thank you for all of the replies, I totally forgot about this forum and had been 3 years since this post!!?? Life, work, band, etc. ya know. Anyhow update, last night at our rehearsal spot me and the other guitarist were setting up our rehearsal rigs and I was setting up my 1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head and Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back and custom made footswitch to control all functions of the amp along with my Pedaltrain Mini pedalboard using a new Behringer POWER THE WORLD PSU-HSB-ALL All-Country DC 9 V/1.7 A Power Adapter with Daisy-Chain Connectors, Jumper Cables and All-Country Mains Adapters: Maxon 0D808 into a ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost into a MXR M234 Analog Chorus pedals running into the effects loop of the Mesa and the boost was not boosting at all and was making horrible buzzing, out of phase and alien noises :x

Back