Mesa Tremoverb Don't Cut Through Mix

Discussion area for Single, Dual and Trip Rectifers

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Charvel1975
Bottle Rocket

Mesa Tremoverb Don't Cut Through Mix

Post by Charvel1975 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:58 pm

I noticed from our band's show last night the videos posted and onstage that my Mesa Tremoverb head got lost in the mix. I either pissed all over the mix by turning up too much or got lost completely. It wasnt just something I noticed either, in the past too - audience members and friends always used to say it sounded great but they couldnt hear me so well. I didnt scoop my mids either, i used to keep them at 2 oclock with the presence around 1 or 2 and the bass around 11 oclock and last night I had the presence, treble and mids pretty much cranked and it sounded horrible :(
95 Mesa Tremoverb converted to head customized by my brother-in-law
95 Mesa OS 2x12 cab (Tremoverb) converted to closed back by my brother-in-law
Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X pattern)

CoG
Donating Member

Re: Mesa Tremoverb Don't Cut Through Mix

Post by CoG » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 am

I wouldn't worry too much about one show if the other ones have been fine, man - room, mix of stage volume vs. PA, if the room was small enough that stage volume mattered in the mix, amp placement on the stage becomes a thing, if it's all coming from the PA then maybe the mic placement on the amp was off... there's just so many variables.

If you are trying to go for a really super tight, very modern tone (which I was guessing from you talking about cranking your mids and not scooping?), here's what I do on my ROV. Ch2 Modern, turn the bass down to like 9 o'clock, mids up to 3, treble way *down* at like 9, then start with the presence at noon and dial in highs that way. Gain about 3:30, master and output both at noon. Then hit the front end with a clean boost. It will sound weird and bright and thin by itself but as soon as you're in the mix, you'll get it. In this style the recto's "problem" is that it doesn't have a depth/resonance control so you need to do some weird sh!t in the tone stack.

edit: if you're the only guitarist in the band you will also probably want to put a GEQ in the loop and add a little bit of lows back - that will work better in the loop than from the preamp.
Royal Atlantic RA-100 Head
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

skoora
Mark II

Post by skoora » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:38 pm

EQ in the loop will solve all your problems. Just set the loop to 100% mix making it close to being a serial loop. It doesn’t take much of a bump in the mids on the EQ to totally change the character of the amp. I use a MXR 10 band but almost any one will get it done.

tbonesullivan
Mark II

Post by tbonesullivan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:04 am

What are your mids set at? Are you running spongy or bold, and do you have the tube rectifiers engaged?

Also, make sure that you have the effects loop "send" control set pointing straight up, which is unity gain. If you have it lowered, that lowers your overall output level maximum, as it is always in the circuit.
Guitars: Hamers, Heritages, G&L Legacies, EBMM Steve Morse, Carvin Bolt, Fender Tele
Amps: DC-5 1x12, Maverick 2x12, Stiletto ACE 1x12, Trem-O-Verb 2x12