NAD: Multi-Watt Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Ever since the release since 1991, for some reason I have not been much of a fan of the Rectifier series but that could be due to my familiarity of the Mark series dating back to 1989 Mark III blue stripe. Sure I have seen them when out getting more tubes during the band days. Mind you at that time I was ignorant on how to dial this type of amp to satisfactory settings. In 2012 I was after a Roadster head to go with my OSR slant front 412 since I did not have a head style amp, only combo versions of the Mark III and Mark IV. When I tried the Roadster out, did not like it and came home with a Mark V. I knew it had potential and I did buy one in 2014 and from that moment on I really loved the Roadster once I figured it out. Different for sure compared to a Mark. Time progressed and found guidance from this forum to compensate for the bottom end saturation with a Tung sol in V1, etc.... My collection has changed over the years. Sold the Mark III before getting the Mark V. I did get the Roadster, followed by a Royal Atlantic, sold the Mark IV, added another Mesa OSR slant front 412, jumped on a JP-2C after they did the FX loop fix, landed a TC-50, adopted another Royal Atlantic in combo format, then had to have the TC-100, and I though it was all done with the addition of the California Tweed. I still felt like I was missing something. Heard some recordings of the Mult-watt, did some more research and had to find out for myself how I would like the Mult-watt Dual Rectifier without ever playing through one first. The amp arrived mid afternoon yesterday. Figured I would try it with the Horizontal 212 cab since I do not use that much. :shock: This amp is amazing right out of the box. Why did I wait so long to get one? To answer that, I have a Roadster, do I need another? The obvious would be yes. Ran it through all of the voices on CH2 and CH2, have yet to try the pushed on clean. Also did not experiment with spongy or tube tracking. So far this amp is a home run with bases loaded and the ball is out of the park.

46732598344_95a18535fd_k.jpg

Of course I am going to compare this to the Roadster since that was my original frame of reference to the Rectifier series that I actually took ownership of. I can get used to no reverb but for cleans it is always good to have something to give it some depth. Since I had the Strymon BigSky it was going to be the first thing I plug into the FX loop. WOW, just having that really wakes up the amp even more. I did not expect to be blown away as much as I have been with this amp. I am very happy I pulled the trigger. Still have to run it through one of the 412 cabs but the moment I am really loving the horizontal 212 cab. Also learned something about the amp, it will fit on top of the vertical 212 due to the offset of the rubber feet relative to the side of the shell. It will overhand but will actually sit on the top without slipping off on one side. I measured the Roadster footprint and the same would apply so that will be my focus for today is to compare them using the vertical 212 cabs since I have two of them but only one horizontal cab. I plan to use the Mesa switch track to switch between amps and also to run them in parallel. I was doing just that with the roadster yesterday but used the horizontal 212 with the MWDR and the vertical 212 with the Roadster. Running two of them in parallel was more rewarding than ever.

46733342864_1f5150c8f9_k.jpg

Today my focus will be using both amps but with all stock preamp tubes (had some different tubes in the Roadster, V1 Tung Sol, V3 Beijing and V6 Sovtek LPS). With the different preamp tubes it was almost difficult to tell the difference between the amps as it would be from the showroom floor before they discontinued the Roadster and Road King II models. The MWDR came equipped with Gray color coded tubes. So far I am impressed with the out of the box experience. Since I have yellows in the Roadster, and a new set of the same, I swapped the power tubes so both amps would be as close in tube arrangement and the differences would be just the amp circuits. I already know the Roadster will be much darker in tone with the stock complement of Mesa glass. I am just curious to find out how different they are to each other. If you have never tried a Mult-watt Recto, I would suggest you do, you will be amazed in what you hear. Right out of the box to the cab without using any suggested settings in the manual I was floored how good this amp sounds with the controls set to noon. Relative to the TC series and the Mark series. the MWDR does have some similar traits in reference to palm muting style. I do that a lot so that was important to me. Very responsive and reactive to what I was playing. Very forward in response time comparable to both TC and JP-2C. Sure, different pallet of tone to paint the air with but definitely love the new color. :p I am also eager to run the new amp along side the JP or TC or both if I can manage that with the Mesa Switch track. It will be a pedal fest for the moment as I do not have gear that would manage the channel selection and midi to control the other amps.

I did manage to run the MWDR with the TC-100. Sweet. Not sure how I dialed it in but the vintage voice on CH3 running tube rectification and though the horizontal 212 cab, almost a clone of the TC-100 on CH3. I was and was not surprised how well the two amps ran in parallel with the switch track. Not surprised because I already know the effect. TC blends so well with other amps and this combination was no exception. Awesome tones.

Got around to pushing the 412 cabinets with the MWDR. One is loaded with EV and the other is all stock. Both Mesa OSRSF 412 but different build years. I generally run the EV loaded cab with the Roadster. However, this is the second amp I loved hearing through the stock 412 cabinet. Sure the cab sounds great with all the amps I ran with it. However a favorite has been the Royal Atlantic. I am overly impressed with hot the MWDR sounded thought he stock 412 cab. I actually liked it way better than the EV loaded one. That is great, now I do not have to buy another cab since I did not want to change the stock cab in any way, even if I have enough EV speakers to do so. I do have a few on hand that I can mod another 412 cab. MWDR with all stock tubes pushing the Mesa OSR slant front 412 cab was ideal. No flub, no thinning out of tone. It sounded just as good as it did through the horizontal 212. You cannot go wrong with either, 412 or 212. This amp is more than I expected it to be. :p

After having this amp for a while now, I am still impressed with it. I am now considering getting another OS Recto slant front 412 cab so I do not have to keep the RA100 off of its pedestal. The grey and black jute cab looks much better with the RA100 sitting on top since they match. I can get by with what I have but my OCD is kicking in. :? Thought about getting another grey and black jute cab but in straight format for a full stack but I favor the slant front cab's tone with the MWDR. I could always use the RA100 with the straight cab since the head is so large it barely fits on top of the slant front cab. Even if I had the straight cab I doubt I would stack the two but would be tempting.

Enjoying the two Dual Rectifier amps together using the Mesa Switch track. My old OSRSF412 was refurbished with EVM12L speakers. Works great with the Roadster, however I do favor the stock OSRSF412 with the MWDR.
33894088838_8c75c22dac_z.jpg

As I stated earlier, the OSRSF412 cab in the grey / black grill cloth was bought to match the RA100. So if I do pick up another OS Recto 412 cab I will get the standard or black grill. Still tempting to change it up a bit. The tan and black grill looks great too as I have that in a 212 format. If I get the tan/black jute grill I can use it with the JP-2C. Grey, tan, or black? :roll:

24838947758_81b97d3e4f_k.jpg

25408823997_4f16ac1fc1_k.jpg

Nice collection.
I used a Multi-watt Triple a friend owns a few times. It really is a great amp. I have a Tremoverb and the transition from Orange to Red is smoother with the Multi-watt. I also like having control over the rectification on each channel.

The MWDR to me sounds like CH2 and CH3 are identical twins. No change in voice or tone between the two like there is with the Roadster when switching between 3 and 4. Love the amp in spongy power mode with tube tracking. Amp still remains tight. I should look and see what Rectifier tubes are installed. I had assumed they were the 5U4GB tube. Just got done pitting the MWDR against the TC-100. Not too far off from each other considering the TC is burning the EL34 and the MWDR is fueled up with the 6L6GC. Easy to dial in either to match. MWDR has more of a scooped tone than the TC. Running the Mesa 5BGEQ in the FX loop of the TC is definitely a must for total flexibility. MWDR, you almost have to boost the mids if you want something different, running a standard V pattern with the 5BGEQ does not do much for the MWDR. The same would apply to the Roadster. The MWDR is a win just as much as the TC-100 and JP-2C in relation to current production amps. Now I have too many favorites to choose from.

Hola bandit. I haven’t been around here in a long time. Not since I’ve had and sold the TC-100. Such a great amp but I moved it along to a new home.

I recently picked up a MWDR and it is an amazing amp. I had a Tremoverb combo years ago and remember thinking it was amazing but way overkill...should’ve kept it anyway lol.

This MW seems great on all three channels. I need to figure out what my favorite crunch sound in it is. I’m starting to build a dual amp rig with it and the Super Kraken. Initial testing indicates it will be a beautiful, beastly combo.

Back