Rectoverb 50 Combo Fizzy Distortion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPS

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Greg, I am new to the forum. Let me start out with the fact that I’ve always loved the sound of MESA Amps (like most of you I imagine). A couple years ago I finally got around to buying one. I got a great deal at Guitar Center on a used Rectoverb 50 Combo Series 2 I believe (blue light). The cleans are beautiful on this amp. However I have not been able to dial in the distortion just yet. I have a 2005 PRS SE guitar that I usually use, and it sounds fine on my old solid state amp. I’m assuming that it is user error due to never owning a tube amp before. I’ve also heard MESA’s can take some fine tuning.

Does anybody have any suggestions to getting rid of the odd “fizzy” sound on my distorted channel? I’m using the modern setting with gain around 2-3 o’clock. So nothing crazy. I noticed the vintage setting doesn’t have the fizz sound. It just doesn’t quite have enough gain for the modern rock sound I’m going for.

I’ve recently purchased an overdrive pedal hoping that will help with the tone. Maybe if I can boost the signal and back off the gain it will take care of it.

Any suggestions are welcome!

-Greg

Hello.

My intention is not to make you unhappy with your amp but in my experience recto with modern tends to be a bit fizzy and “splatter-y”. One could help the tone by opening up the volume a bit more (if used in bebroom) but the base tonality is aggressive and tearing.

Also based on your writing I personally would drop the gain to around 12 o’clock and use the overdrive to boost and cut some low end from the guitar signal - at least for lead/solo.

To me, gain at 2-3 oclock is 'crazy.' I know that is totally up to preference.

The treble (high) EQ stage is very sensitive too. Perhaps try rolling back the treble and presence too and see how that sounds.

Eevil said:
Hello.

My intention is not to make you unhappy with your amp but in my experience recto with modern tends to be a bit fizzy and “splatter-y”. One could help the tone by opening up the volume a bit more (if used in bebroom) but the base tonality is aggressive and tearing.

Also based on your writing I personally would drop the gain to around 12 o’clock and use the overdrive to boost and cut some low end from the guitar signal - at least for lead/solo.

No problem, it takes a lot to offend me haha. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll definitely have to play around with it more next time I’m playing with my brothers (when I can really open it up!). I don’t remember the fizz as much with a full band, but it’s also been a while.

I’ll definitely play around with the low end and gain settings. After posting this I ended up playing it on the vintage setting haha.

deeman said:
To me, gain at 2-3 oclock is 'crazy.' I know that is totally up to preference.

The treble (high) EQ stage is very sensitive too. Perhaps try rolling back the treble and presence too and see how that sounds.

Is it? I’m still inexperienced with tube amps so I’m just playing around to find that perfect tone right now.

I tried turning the presence off entirely and rolling it up. I didn’t mess quite as heavily with the treble though. I’ll definitely play with both of them more next time. I’ll also crank it more to dial it in as well. I know the tunes like to be pushed.

GPS said:
Eevil said:
Hello.

No problem, it takes a lot to offend me haha. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll definitely have to play around with it more next time I’m playing with my brothers (when I can really open it up!). I don’t remember the fizz as much with a full band, but it’s also been a while.

I’ll definitely play around with the low end and gain settings. After posting this I ended up playing it on the vintage setting haha.

Well... One can never be sure where others will be offended :p

If I recall correctly (and RoV is similar to Roadster) shutting the treble off completely and setting the brightness with presence and middle will lend in different feel and more fluid tone. At least in vintage mode - I used to play a lot within vintage mode set this way.

As others have mentioned, pulling back on the treble (to noon or below) and using the presence to add the top end can help a lot with the modern setting. It really helps to get the amp up to a level where the amp really opens up and the girth really comes out. It's well above bedroom levels, but below gig level, in my experience.

Eevil said:
GPS said:
Eevil said:
Hello.

Well... One can never be sure where others will be offended :p

If I recall correctly (and RoV is similar to Roadster) shutting the treble off completely and setting the brightness with presence and middle will lend in different feel and more fluid tone. At least in vintage mode - I used to play a lot within vintage mode set this way.

Very true. It is safer to assume everyone is easily offended this day and age! Shutting the treble off does make the fizz more bearable for sure!

silentbob said:
As others have mentioned, pulling back on the treble (to noon or below) and using the presence to add the top end can help a lot with the modern setting. It really helps to get the amp up to a level where the amp really opens up and the girth really comes out. It's well above bedroom levels, but below gig level, in my experience.

You’re absolutely right. This amp is much happier screaming haha. The fizz does seem to naturally dwindle some once the volume hits a level that is more “ballsy” for a lack of better terms.

Back