Mesa Rectifier: ultimate 2ch vs 3ch comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalaxe

Reaction score
So there's a ton of talk about the differences between the 2ch and the 3ch Rectifiers and their different revisions... but are those heads REALLY as different as the forum hype wants you to believe? Here's a back to back comparison of my RevF 2 channel and my 3 channel heads (pre Multi-Watt). These do not have the same tubes in them (same type, different brands), so bear in mind that some of the (IMO already minor) differences come from the different tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCxV7CSE7U0

Thanks for the a/b. The differences are subtle, but there. In a blind test I sure as sh!t wouldn't be able to say which one was which though lol. To my ears, the 3CH had a touch more top, and the 2CH had punchier low-mids. But realistically, there differences were <5% or so.

Personally, ever since I've gotten into DIYing my own tube amps I care even less about subjective differences like these. There are SO MANY factors that define an amp's voice - physical layout, component type (ex: ceramic vs silver mica caps), OP trannies, etc. Please don't think I'm slamming your efforts; in fact, I'm glad you posted this video. It clearly shows that, while there are differences, they are nowhere as drastic as people on the internet would have you believe. If someone can't get a good tone out of a 3CH recto, then rectos aren't the amp for them. FWIW, my go-to recto tone is a 2000's 3CH on Orange/Modern. There's some subtle differences in the tone stack that make it smoother in the hi-mids, and it works for my playing style.

Anyway, rant over. Thanks again for sharing.

metalaxe said:
So there's a ton of talk about the differences between the 2ch and the 3ch Rectifiers and their different revisions... but are those heads REALLY as different as the forum hype wants you to believe? Here's a back to back comparison of my RevF 2 channel and my 3 channel heads (pre Multi-Watt). These do not have the same tubes in them (same type, different brands), so bear in mind that some of the (IMO already minor) differences come from the different tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCxV7CSE7U0

From a man who as spotted that different output transformers on DR have different sound and different revision sounds clearly different :

As you can hear 2ch≠2ch, the older RevF sounds much more open and dynamic, the newer RevG sounds more thick, compressed and has more power in the low end...I'm loving both. The cab I used for this recording was a Marshall 1960DM mic'd with an AT250DE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFB3JsYMiw

big LOL ......

All people how loves an "organic distorted sound" love their amp in real situation / live situation....not that kind of sound very compressed.
His sound is good as Ola sound is good...but always sound the same and absolutly not refecting the real sound of their amp.

“jar full of bees” is a good explanation when I listen this kind of guitar sound.

That's my opinion

Back